Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOS Question from Hill
07-26-2020, 11:00 PM,
RE: LOS Question from Hill
What would the highest point of a pancake hill be? Also, I’ve always wondered what the LOS is on a pancake hill to a lower elevation such as a valley? Is there a blind hex? For example, assuming a unit sits in the middle of a hill where there are two or more flat hexes and then a slope or cliff, is there a hex in the valley or lower elevation that can not be seen such as a hex that is closer to the slope or cliff?
07-26-2020, 11:21 PM,
(07-26-2020, 11:00 PM)saracv3 Wrote: What would the highest point of a pancake hill be? Also, I’ve always wondered what the LOS is on a pancake hill to a lower elevation such as a valley? Is there a blind hex?
Thus you come to my house rule for the assumed crest. I live on the Front Range of Colorado. We know all about hills, and mountains, and gullies. To your question, any point someone is on is the highest point, per Panzer Grenadier. There are no downward blind spots.
saracv3 likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-26-2020, 11:24 PM,
Also related to the above question: if trees and towns are 20 meters high, what is their effect on LOS from a higher elevation hill that might be, say, 40 meters or higher. In Crete, there are several hills that are 60 meters or higher with very defined downslopes dropping 20 meters every 1-2 hexes. Yet light forest is all through out these slopes. (Olive trees, actually.) What is the blockage to LOS here?
07-26-2020, 11:33 PM,
(07-26-2020, 11:21 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 11:00 PM)saracv3 Wrote: What would the highest point of a pancake hill be? Also, I’ve always wondered what the LOS is on a pancake hill to a lower elevation such as a valley? Is there a blind hex?
Thus you come to my house rule for the assumed crest. I live on the Front Range of Colorado. We know all about hills, and mountains, and gullies. To your question, any point someone is on is the highest point, per Panzer Grenadier. There are no downward blind spots.

Hmm, I ought to look you up on Google using a terrain overlay. I know what city CJ lives in. Interesting terrain. You guys aren’t far from each other. Smile
07-26-2020, 11:45 PM,
(05-21-2020, 11:11 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
  1. Yes. Per RaW there is line of sight.
  2. Yes, you did here of something else. Yes it was me.
This is the rule I created:
8.3.4 Presumed Crest Lines
The LOS between units of different elevations is blocked if the higher unit is behind the crest of the hill. If the highest unit has a higher elevation line behind it, which is also on the same hill, the units are in LOS of each other.
Not a perfect solution, but quite workable.

Keep in mind, if you are teaching someone the game, stay RaW.

Peter, what does RaW stand for?
07-27-2020, 12:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 12:19 AM by plloyd1010.)
RaW = Rules as written

Technically, Craig lives in a town.
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-27-2020, 12:26 AM,
(07-26-2020, 11:24 PM)saracv3 Wrote: Also related to the above question: if trees and towns are 20 meters high, what is their effect on LOS from a higher elevation hill that might be, say, 40 meters or higher. In Crete, there are several hills that are 60 meters or higher with very defined downslopes dropping 20 meters every 1-2 hexes. Yet light forest is all through out these slopes. (Olive trees, actually.) What is the blockage to LOS here?

The 4th bullet of rule 8.42 answers that question. LOS is blocked if the town/woods/ect. is closer to the lower elevation unit than the higher. (That also suggests that the obstacle is less than 20 meters tall.)
07-27-2020, 04:01 AM,
(07-27-2020, 12:11 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: RaW = Rules as written

I must correct both of you. Craig technically lives in a Census Designsted Place according to the Census Bureau. It has a population of 9263 (2010).
07-27-2020, 05:07 AM,
(07-27-2020, 04:01 AM)saracv3 Wrote:
(07-27-2020, 12:11 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: RaW = Rules as written

I must correct both of you. Craig technically lives in a Census Designsted Place according to the Census Bureau. It has a population of 9263 (2010).

It's Gunbarrel, Colorado....it is a CPD
....it is also under assault from the Boulder City council to express eminent domain on the electric utility assets in our part of the world....
If we're not careful we will be "absorbed by the borg" of the People's Republic of Boulder as they WANT to establish their own Electric Utility---cause they have such a great history
in meddling in all kinds of things.....(there was a mall in the middle of the city that stood empty for 10 years because of "negotiations"..... and concerns about cars...so...
malls were set up in neighboring cities and everyone drives there (with their money).... eventually the council got out of the way....but.... demonstrates their deep thinking on
such subjects...I'm sure that a boulder utility would only provide non-fossil fuel electrons....I'm sure they'd verify everyone of them...)

But---yes as a CPD I claim Town at least.....(entrenchments at my house....)
cjSmile
07-27-2020, 06:05 AM,
Craig lives in a human settlement without a governing charter, by the definition town. Colloquially probably also a town.
I live in a human settlement with a governing charter, hence a city. Which happens to have its own power and internet companies. Boulder has jealous of the first since the grid failure way back, and of the second ever since we built it.