Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Edition DF chart - Opportunity Fire question
04-08-2020, 06:20 AM,
RE: 4th Edition DF chart - Opportunity Fire question
(04-08-2020, 05:52 AM)tlangston28 Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 05:00 AM)cjsiam Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 02:40 AM)tlangston28 Wrote: So if I am reading the responses correctly, these would be the modifiers for different circumstances for Direct Fire Opportunity Fire:
  • Op Fire (OF) vs. Standard personnel:  +1
  • OF vs. AT, AA, Mortar, Cav, etc:  +1 for target being an AT, AA etc unit only (do not apply above).  Also,  I don't think that deployed or limbered should matter:  The reason being that a deployed unit isn't moving so it is not considered opportunity fire and the target is still an AT or AA unit so the +1 should apply in either case.
  • Same for Artillery = +2 for either OF or regular DF but do not apply additional +1 from 1st bullet point.
  • No OF +1 modifier for AFV or APC units. (I assume this would include Self-propelled artillery with an armor factor since by definition, it would be considered and AFV unit and so would not fall under the second bullet?
Now that the discussion has started,  I guess the question is do Trucks and/or wagons (whether loaded or not) suffer the +1 Op Fire since they are not technically personnel units but Transport units?  Again this is  only direct fire OF as there is a specific modifier for Bombardment on loaded transports.  I think we have always applied it but now i don't think it should apply when following the letter of the rule.

I'm thinking this may not be right guys!....and this is not something I went deep before but----I think once a unit becomes "transported" you don't consider it AT/Arty...it's transport
that is fired at, not the unit transported....(AT/Arty)...

5.65 Taking DamageIf a transport unit is fired on, everything it is transporting suffers the same fate as the transport. If a transport must make a morale check due to enemy fire, make one roll for the transport only, adding the morale bonus of any one leader it is carrying or in its hex or an adjacent hex. If the transport becomes disrupted or demoralized or is eliminated, so does everything it's transporting.

So---there is no modifier +1/+2 for DF used in Op fire on AT/Art(respectively) shot at while limbered and being transported.....you get to fire on the transport...no OP +1, just a base
roll on the transport....

So while you CAN OP, you get no modifers to "moving in open as personnel" or "type of target--it's transport"

Show me where I'm wrong....

That's why I added the bit at the end about the Trucks,  I wasn't sure.  Reading that rule (5.65), the second and third bullet on my list would then only apply when the Guns (whether AT, AA or Arty) are unlimbered and bullet #4 would read "...AFVs, APCs or Transports...".

Actually,  the second bullet would only apply to Guns.   Mortars would suffer both +1 op fire AND +1 target is Mortar since they are classified as a personnel unit.  

Going with this thought then,  If a Gun is being dragged by an INF unit (allowable in some module rules) then there should be a total of +1 modifier since the Op fire would apply to the INF unit, and the +1 target is a Gun would apply to the dragged gun.  E.g.  an INF unit drags a 2-pdr one hex and is fired on with DF values totaling 11 from 2 hexes away.  The final column would be 16 for both  (11 +1 column Opfire on INF,  11 +1 column target is an AT gun for the 2-pdr), not 16 for the INF and 22 for the AT Gun.

Agreed?

I think an INF unit dragging the gun would get the +1 OP personnel, and the gun would get the +1 Gun....I don't think you'd compound them though...So for the INF I agree 100%
The Gun---does what happens to the INF resolve the gun (Like it was being transported---impact on transport impacts the transported unit)? I kinda think it might....
The Gun is effectively in Transport.....by the INF (personnel unit).....

So---I wonder if you treat it like the Gun was in a truck (only the truck here is an INF Personnel unit subject to all it's troubles...) and then only roll against the INF?

For mortars moving 1---they get both problems...Moving personnel +1 and Mortar +1....agreed

So other then INF dragging---I think we're good.....
Question is---how is a Mortar moving getting +2 different from a 37mm AT gun platoon being dragged by an INF unit?....getting only +1? and the impact on INF affecting
the dragged gun?.....The equivalency of truck transporting (and impacts on truck affecting) vs. INF transporting (and only impacts on INF affecting--no separate roll for gun) -- IS
that a false analogy?

questions, questions.....

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4th Edition DF chart - Opportunity Fire question - by cjsiam - 04-08-2020, 06:20 AM