Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't change status for other side
03-17-2020, 10:26 AM,
Can't change status for other side
tmo and I have started a PbEM game of FitS.  We've hit a frustration right away.  I took the Soviets and now I can't adjust his counters.  I couldn't set up his OB, I can't change to Dis/DEM/Elim for combat results.  I could switch to Solo to do it, and that kind of defeats the purpose of signing in as Axis or Allies in the 1st place.

Is there a way to let people affect the other side when playing as one side?
03-17-2020, 10:33 AM,
RE: Can't change status for other side
(03-17-2020, 10:26 AM)J6A Wrote: tmo and I have started a PbEM game of FitS.  We've hit a frustration right away.  I took the Soviets and now I can't adjust his counters.  I couldn't set up his OB, I can't change to Dis/DEM/Elim for combat results.  I could switch to Solo to do it, and that kind of defeats the purpose of signing in as Axis or Allies in the 1st place.

I think you have to play Solo to do that...... once you pick a side the other sides units are off limits----this is about hidden units and movement and such....
you won't even be able to select their units and drop them on the map...

Not sure there is any way to get around that---you can't move/modify their units--that was by design of the VASSAL app.

I think you might find PG hard to PBEM.....Opportunity fire---just don't see how you can do it....I could be wrong.....
03-17-2020, 10:37 AM,
I agree that live is better for this, and we're giving it a try this way.  Op Fire can be handled through interrupt files, status changes can't.
03-17-2020, 10:52 AM,
When you choose a side, the other one is locked.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-17-2020, 10:06 PM,
(03-17-2020, 10:26 AM)J6A Wrote: tmo and I have started a PbEM game of FitS.  We've hit a frustration right away.  I took the Soviets and now I can't adjust his counters.  I couldn't set up his OB, I can't change to Dis/DEM/Elim for combat results.  I could switch to Solo to do it, and that kind of defeats the purpose of signing in as Axis or Allies in the 1st place.

In order to be able to manipulate both sides' counters, you must be able to see both sides' counters. This eliminates hidden units and hiding unspotted units.

My biggest complaint about PG is that AT guns are mostly useless because they can't hide in solo play.

Vassal is designed to rigorously enforce blindness. If you're playing PBEM, you'll either need to end a logfile and send it back every time for minor status changes, or drop hidden units and both play "solo".
J6A likes this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...