Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Assault Leader question
02-17-2020, 11:41 AM,
Assault Leader question
I am going blind here. What happens in an assault hex when one side is down to only a leader left? The other units just got zapped with a 2 step loss, and he passed his M2 morale check.

Mike
02-17-2020, 11:49 AM,
RE: Assault Leader question
You use the lone leader rule. Captured on a 9+, otherwise displaced. I'm honestly not sure if the other side gets a free shot at the leader, although I would assume they do.
02-17-2020, 12:18 PM,
No free shot unless the leader flees.He might as well just take his chance with the die roll.
02-19-2020, 02:20 AM,
If he's not captured, he automatically displaces. That's what I think would trigger a free shot.
02-19-2020, 03:42 AM,
(02-19-2020, 02:20 AM)J6A Wrote: If he's not captured, he automatically displaces. That's what I think would trigger a free shot.

Interesting observation----in cases (A)where an enemy combat unit moves into a square with a leader---the die roll and displace is the mechanic
In the case (B) where you are in an Assault hex, and the leader is left alone---do you get a free shot?

I'm inclined to say no---else you'd get one in case (A) as well--and that is not the intent....
Leaders are a bit slippery it would seem.....

Are A and B so different that they should be considered differently? otherwise the (A) case would be the recourse as Leaders cannot conduct
combat without presence of combat units.....(they don't get to use their combat factor except to ADD to units...)
?
How does one resolve this conundrum?
02-19-2020, 03:50 AM,
This is a fairly rare case. It has only come up twice, that I can immediately recall. I think we went with displacement. The rule cites units exiting the hex. As leaders are not units, we defaulted to the lone leader rule.
cjsiam likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-19-2020, 05:07 AM,
That's fair. I have not seen the situation much, if at all, myself.
02-21-2020, 08:13 PM,
(02-17-2020, 12:18 PM)saracv3 Wrote: No free shot unless the leader flees.He might as well just take his chance with the die roll.

An addendum to my answer; the leader can stay put in the hex, but if he vacates, and is the last one in the hex, he does suffer the Free Shot, which is rather nasty. He is not a unit, so he doesn’t even get a one to fire back. But he might try to stay in the hex if he has some friendly units that can try to enter his hex in a subsequent activation. Or he can displace.
02-21-2020, 10:27 PM,
The leader is not a unit. The rule specifically refers to units leaving the hex. I don't think he has the option to stay after the units have vacated.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-21-2020, 11:07 PM,
I did say he wasn’t a unit. But because of this he can’t stay. So he does suffer the Free Shot? Which comes first, the Free Shot or the roll for displacement? Is rule 12.56 a factor?