Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request for unit cloning option
02-17-2020, 05:41 AM,
Request for unit cloning option
One thing that would ease setup is the ability to clone a unit. I do this all the time when I play Wing Leader on Vassal. Right now if a scenario calls for 20 INF units you have to drag the unit from the units box onto the map 20 times. With cloning you just drag one INF unit onto the map and then click Shift-C or Shift-K to clone it. You can easily make a pile of units with a keyboard command instead of repeated dragging.
J6A and Shad like this post
02-17-2020, 07:09 AM,
RE: Request for unit cloning option
That sounds like a good idea. And thank you for providing a reference module. We can look at the WL guys and see how they're doing that.
J6A likes this post
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-23-2020, 03:01 AM,
Pretty easy: open the PG Unit prototype definition, select "Clone" among the traits on the left and add it. The default command key is ctrl-c. Probably you can keep that, as the layers seem to use the shift instead of the ctrl key. Existing scenarios have to be updated using the refresh counters button in the tools menu.
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
02-23-2020, 11:06 AM,
Easy yes. I saw that. There are actually 4 unit prototype definitions, no biggy. There are also a couple other features to add. I plan on quarterly updates. The first will be sometime next month.

As for pretty easy, how about saving that comment until after you graduate. maybe then you will understand why a cloning function was low on the priorities.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-24-2020, 08:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2020, 08:41 PM by g1ul10.)
Hey, you did a great job with the VASSAL module, and the mentoring thing is amazing!  I've no issue with the lack of the cloning feature. I was just trying to be helpful.
J6A likes this post
02-26-2020, 12:29 AM,
Thank you. I am equally impressed that you got Vassal running on iOS. I know a couple some ones who may want to talk to you about that.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-26-2020, 03:01 AM,
(02-26-2020, 12:29 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Thank you. I am equally impressed that you got Vassal running on iOS. I know a couple some ones who may want to talk to you about that.

It's not iOS. I'm using Linux. I don't know almost anything about iOS but if somebody needs some direction for Linux I'm happy to help. The two are related, but in my experience application tweaks tend to be extremely system dependent.
02-26-2020, 03:51 AM,
Apologies, wrong guy. Takakazu Isono (katz0) is the one running iOS.