Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displacement from demoralized units
08-20-2012, 12:59 PM,
Displacement from demoralized units
A potentially interesting situation came up today. A demoralized SS grenadier had the potential to flee into a hex with a RKKA leader, who was also demoralized. We mused as to if the RKKA leader should be subject to the same displacement rule other leaders would be if displaced by an undemoralized unit.

In the end, that situation didn't develop. Still how would you have handled it?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-20-2012, 01:04 PM,
RE: Displacement from demoralized units
Interesting!

A strict reading of Rule 6.71 sees no mention of morale status so the leader would roll for capture.

Personally, I think that's against the spirit of the situation, so if we were playing together I'd offer you a "free re-spot" -- move the leader to an adjacent hex with no roll for capture.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-20-2012, 01:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM by Poor Yorek.)
(08-20-2012, 01:04 PM)Shad Wrote: Personally, I think that's against the spirit of the situation, so if we were playing together I'd offer you a "free re-spot" -- move the leader to an adjacent hex with no roll for capture.

I tend to disagree because I do not view demoralization as necessarily being mindless abject terror (rather, a loss of willingness to engage in combat with an armed aggressor). Would even a fleeing platoon of nation X's troops really just wave at or ignore an officer of the enemy forces? If nothing else, capture of an enemy field officer might just be what you'd want! "Oh, no, sir, we wassn't flee'n ... we had to bring this feller back fer questioning."

Perhaps one might house-rule it by making the capture/elimination roll 10 rather than 9 (basically now 6:36 chance rather than the usual 10:36 if the unit were Disrupted or in good-order) if the unit passing through the leader-only hex is demoralized?
08-20-2012, 01:41 PM,
Fair point, PY, fair point!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...