Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orchards in Crete
02-12-2020, 03:29 AM,
Orchards in Crete
I realized last night I may have been treating the orchard hexes in Parachutes Over Crete incorrectly.

The game specific rules begin, "Orchards: the wooded hexes all represent an intense mixture of olive groves and vineyards..."

They then go on to define the movement costs without any reference to combat effects. I took the phrase "wooded hexes" to mean they should be treated as woods for combat modifiers with the game specific movement rules.

Now I'm thinking maybe they should be treated as Orchard hexes for combat. This has a big impact since Woods provide some good defensive modifiers for direct fire and assault while Orchards only impact sighting while having no combat modifiers.

Just wondering what other folks think. Huh
02-12-2020, 03:58 AM,
RE: Orchards in Crete
From previous games, I had treated orchards as a sort of light woods.
joe_oppenheimer likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-12-2020, 04:49 AM,
I like the idea of treating them like light woods since both allow you to see/fire though one hex but not two and you do at least get some benefit on the defense.

If they are treated like orchards on the existing terrain effects sheet than Crete really has a lot of terrain that provides no defensive shifts.

Mainly I'd like to hear what the designer's interpretation was. I wish the exclusive rules had specifically stated their combat effect (even if just to say "for all other purposes treat them like Orchard hexes as defined in 4th ed.").
02-12-2020, 05:17 AM,
In testing they were treated as light woods in terms of combat effects.
saracv3, joe_oppenheimer, J6A like this post
No "minor" country left behind...
02-12-2020, 06:47 AM,
Thanks Matt!
02-13-2020, 10:38 AM,
(02-12-2020, 05:17 AM)Matt W Wrote: In testing they were treated as light woods in terms of combat effects.

Glad to be enlightened here. I was using Orchards/ Palm Groves on TEC which doesn’t give the-1 DF. It isa No Effect.