Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ Feature Discussion ] Honoring departed members
11-04-2019, 12:16 AM,
[ Feature Discussion ] Honoring departed members
Others may have gone quietly before him, but Larry Marak is the first active member of PG-HQ that has passed to my knowledge. Poor Yorek raised the idea of incorporating a way to remember our departed friends on PG-HQ. I'm posting this thread to hear suggestions on how that might be done.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-04-2019, 03:10 AM,
RE: [ Feature Discussion ] Honoring departed members
In general I am not in favor of the idea. I expect that it would become a corner of the site which would not get any traffic.

That said, a memorial page looking like a military cemetery. The first rows could have images of he standard military grave markers from the person's nationality. Clicking on their grave maker would bring up their bio. The background be an arrangement of the usual cross found at most military cemeteries.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
11-05-2019, 12:44 AM,
I was considering just changing their forum title to something that gets the point across, and editing their PG-HQ profile text with a note that they're no longer with us.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-05-2019, 05:32 AM,
Perhaps just simply an additional (fourth) page/link from the existing Awards & Honors link: that is, to the existing three

PG-HQ Officers
Tour of Duty Awards
Hall of Fame 

add

PG-HQ In Memoriam

move (or copy) the bio link for the deceased member into that page.  The page header might have some suitable image or simply text denoting that this page is where deceased contributors to PG-HQ "rest."  

Seems discreet, but to the purpose: not being a coder, however (outside of a lot of old-school FORTRAN), not sure how much effort such a thing would entail.  As for the objection that such an area might be "low traffic," I can only reply that it seems to me that such a feature here would not be based on nor derive its meaningfulness from click-bait efficacy or hit-generation statistics.  Seemed to me more or less just the right thing to do or, at least, to suggest.
cjsiam likes this post
11-05-2019, 02:44 PM,
I like the idea of an In Memoriam section.
11-09-2019, 01:17 AM,
I would support either of the suggestions mentioned
12-13-2019, 12:57 PM,
One might also consider a posthumous promotion as well.
12-13-2019, 04:39 PM,
You might want to consider the member's status. The US Navy uses the phrase, "on eternal patrol" or words to that effect for lost submarines, especially from WW2.