Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[ Feature Discussion ] Multiplayer Ladder
10-13-2019, 12:49 PM,
[ Feature Discussion ] Multiplayer Ladder
Hi everyone,

PG-HQ will very shortly be launching a Multiplayer Ladder.

If you are unfamiliar with the ladder tournament concept, please hop on over to Wikipedia before reading further.

I propose the following rules for the ladder:
  • players will be allowed to have no more than 2 concurrent games going at a time
  • there will be a 2 slot challenge waiting list for players that are currently in 2 games
  • you can only challenges players up to 5 rungs above your current spot
  • scenario choice is up to the player pair
  • a scenario must be played twice with players switching sides, highest VP total across both plays determines the winner
  • if you beat a player you will immediately occupy their current ladder rung, they and all players beneath them will thereby slide down one spot
  • if by the time your challenge ends you are ranked higher than the player you challenged (because you challenged and beat another player faster) then you will not change positions (but if you lose, then the person you challenged would slide in above you)
  • challenges must be answered within 14 days
  • failure to respond to challenges will result in removal from the ladder
  • scenarios must be completed within 30 days unless extended by mutual agreement
  • any Gordian Knots between players will be cut by PG-HQ staff
I'll be adding a management framework to PG-HQ that will display the ladder and update it as match results are submitted. It will also allow for challenges, show active challenges and waiting lists, etc.

Please share your feedback on the above points! Idea

The ultimate goal of course is to encourage more head-to-head play, which is where PG really shines.
Don't ask me how to easily play head-to-head. We're not ready to talk about that yet. Winking
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-13-2019, 01:15 PM,
RE: [ Feature Discussion ] Multiplayer Ladder
On point 4:How will "victory points" be counted in those scenarios which don't actually have victory points? Perhaps a point count for victory level achievement?

On point 9: Shouldn't failure to respond to a challenge simply result in forfeiture of the challenge in favor of the challenger?

Could you provide more information on how the initial ladder will be setup? Is this a forever war, or are there restart points?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-14-2019, 02:39 AM,
plloyd1010 Wrote:On point 4:How will "victory points" be counted in those scenarios which don't actually have victory points? Perhaps a point count for victory level achievement?

That should be determined by the players during the scenario selection process.

plloyd1010 Wrote:On point 9: Shouldn't failure to respond to a challenge simply result in forfeiture of the challenge in favor of the challenger?

That's the meaning, yes. There needs to be a mechanism to remove idle players from the ladder.

plloyd1010 Wrote:Could you provide more information on how the initial ladder will be setup? Is this a forever war, or are there restart points?

I intend for this to be a perpetual ladder. Isolated tournaments (ex: yearly with a single defined scenario) could easily be held in parallel.
10-14-2019, 03:21 AM,
(10-14-2019, 02:39 AM)Shad Wrote:
plloyd1010 Wrote:On point 4:How will "victory points" be counted in those scenarios which don't actually have victory points? Perhaps a point count for victory level achievement?
That should be determined by the players during the scenario selection process.
We should still have a standardized guide, lest things get too weird or seem unfair. Something like:
  • 1 point for meeting draw conditions (if any)
  • 2 points for meeting Marginal Victory conditions
  • 3 points for meeting Major Victory conditions
Challenge VPs are awarded regardless of scenario victory. Example: Player A achieves minor victory conditions for 2 points, player B achieves major victory conditions for 3 points. The players start with those points for their second scenario, though player B can claim a victory on the main page. I also assume equal point maintain the status quo.

(10-14-2019, 02:39 AM)Shad Wrote:
plloyd1010 Wrote:On point 9: Shouldn't failure to respond to a challenge simply result in forfeiture of the challenge in favor of the challenger?
That's the meaning, yes. There needs to be a mechanism to remove idle players from the ladder.
I would vote for demotion on the first offense, expulsion on a later one. Especially since you intend this to be a perpetual ladder.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-14-2019, 05:34 AM,
One can always rejoin at the bottom. I've fallen off the DGS Go ladder several times
10-14-2019, 11:54 PM,
I will participate.

My experience with dual boards setup is games played this way take about three times as long to play when compared to f-t-f.

With Vassal, it's less than twice as long as when compared to f-t-f and there is the advantage you can save the game and resume it any time later by just loading the game (<1 minute).
12-04-2019, 01:37 AM,
(10-13-2019, 12:49 PM)Shad Wrote: Hi everyone,

PG-HQ will very shortly be launching a Multiplayer Ladder.

If you are unfamiliar with the ladder tournament concept, please hop on over to Wikipedia before reading further.

I propose the following rules for the ladder:
  • players will be allowed to have no more than 2 concurrent games going at a time
  • there will be a 2 slot challenge waiting list for players that are currently in 2 games
  • you can only challenges players up to 5 rungs above your current spot
  • scenario choice is up to the player pair
  • a scenario must be played twice with players switching sides, highest VP total across both plays determines the winner
  • if you beat a player you will immediately occupy their current ladder rung, they and all players beneath them will thereby slide down one spot
  • if by the time your challenge ends you are ranked higher than the player you challenged (because you challenged and beat another player faster) then you will not change positions (but if you lose, then the person you challenged would slide in above you)
  • challenges must be answered within 14 days
  • failure to respond to challenges will result in removal from the ladder
  • scenarios must be completed within 30 days unless extended by mutual agreement
  • any Gordian Knots between players will be cut by PG-HQ staff
I'll be adding a management framework to PG-HQ that will display the ladder and update it as match results are submitted. It will also allow for challenges, show active challenges and waiting lists, etc.

Please share your feedback on the above points! Idea

The ultimate goal of course is to encourage more head-to-head play, which is where PG really shines.
Don't ask me how to easily play head-to-head. We're not ready to talk about that yet. Winking

HOW can we easily play head-to-head.....????
ARE we ready to talk about that yet?

The year, and the Christmas shopping season are getting long-in-the-tooth.....
any news from he who will not be named in Alabama?
Inquiring minds.......
12-30-2019, 12:55 AM,
(12-04-2019, 01:37 AM)cjsiam Wrote: HOW can we easily play head-to-head.....???? Guess.
ARE we ready to talk about that yet? Not quite, but close.
12-30-2019, 01:58 AM,
(12-30-2019, 12:55 AM)Shad Wrote:
(12-04-2019, 01:37 AM)cjsiam Wrote: HOW can we easily play head-to-head.....???? Guess.
ARE we ready to talk about that yet? Not quite, but close.

And blessed are they who bring us close unto the fulfillment of the prophesy of remote head-to-head...for they labor long
in the service of this great cause.  Surely their reward will be great in the great hall where we consume mass quantities and play games forever.
Amen.
01-01-2020, 04:10 AM,
A great idea. Reminds me of the TV show Street Outlaws. (I used to have a Pontiac Ventura with a modified ‘67 GTO 400)

I’m in.

Craig Martin