Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaders and "Combat Strength"
07-27-2019, 10:18 AM,
Leaders and "Combat Strength"
So---I read an AAR...Germans and Americans.
The Player commented about Disrupted units and leaders having their Combat Strength 1/2'd....
He proceeded to reduce the Morale modifiers? ...assessing them as a "Combat Strength".....
There is no definition of "Combat Strength".
If this is correct, this would mean that leaders with Morale modifiers of 2 become 1, if disrupted.
Leaders who are 1, become 1/2 --which rounds up to 1.....
I'm not clear this is what was intended.  Do others play this way?
cjWink
07-27-2019, 11:05 AM,
RE: Leaders and "Combat Strength"
It isn't correct. I don't play that way. The disruption effect on leaders is to reduce their command radius to 0. Combat and morale modifiers remain unchanged.
garbare83686 likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-27-2019, 04:31 PM,
Yeah, that was me, I had some sort of vestigial memory from a LONG time ago (perhaps before version 3 of the rules) of combat/morale modifiers being halved as well. I'm probably wrong for Version 4, but there aren't many 2 Combat or Morale modifiers anyway.

And if the language were more uniform/well defined, it would be unambiguous. "Fire values" is what is used in section 7.0 Combat, so 14.2 should probably say "Has all its fire values halved." if that is what they meant. But I have no problem ditching my old interpretation.

I'm probably bad to listen to because I have the worst-case combo of "started playing back at the beginning" and "don't have much time to play". It shows in my record of producing a play/AAR once every 3 years!
07-28-2019, 02:21 AM,
It is written poorly, and not clarified in the 4th Ed very well.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-23-2019, 08:57 AM,
I've never played it that a leaders 'modifiers' were 'combat strengths'. In any case with the rounding up rule, it would only affect the rare leaders with a '2' modifier.
09-23-2019, 09:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2019, 09:43 AM by patman.)
(09-23-2019, 08:57 AM)dxdavieau Wrote: I've never played it that a leaders 'modifiers' were 'combat strengths'. In any case with the rounding up rule, it would only affect the rare leaders with a '2' modifier.

As I noted in my AAR. I really think 2 Morale modifier leaders distort the bell curve framework of the PG Morale system too much (as I also noted). So I don't mind adversely affecting them (only).

I will consider it to be my own ancient "House Rule"  Big Grin
09-23-2019, 10:20 AM,
Yeah, a 2 morale leader affecting all the adjacent hexes makes a position VERY strong. The only remedy is to get that bastard into assault
02-26-2020, 04:30 PM,
In PoC I’m trying to run around and attack German leaders that have floated away from their groups. I’m assuming that since leaders have no combat values, they can be assaulted without actually stopping in the hex before the leader in question. Am I correct khere?
02-26-2020, 05:21 PM,
(02-26-2020, 04:30 PM)saracv3 Wrote: In PoC I’m trying to run around and attack German leaders that have floated away from their groups. I’m assuming that since leaders have no combat values, they can be assaulted without actually stopping in the hex before the leader in question. Am I correct khere?

If you move into a hex with just enemy leaders then apply the lone leader rule. Roll 2D6 and the leader is captured/killed on a nine or greater, anything lower and he gets displaced.

6.71 Lone Leaders
If one or more leaders are in a hex with no other units, one leader is eliminated per step loss scored on the hex by bombardment or direct fire (for example, X = one leader eliminated, 2X = two leaders eliminated, etc.). If one or more enemy combat units (not unarmed transports or leaders) enter such a hex, roll two dice for each friendly leader in the hex. On a result of 9 or more the leader is removed from play. On a result less than 9, he is displaced to an adjacent hex that is either friendly-controlled or vacant. If all adjacent hexes are enemy-occupied, he is eliminated.
saracv3 and Shad like this post
02-26-2020, 05:48 PM,
Thanks Joe. Sometimes I forget the rules when I’ve read three times over.