Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get a Puppy
08-16-2012, 01:54 PM,
Get a Puppy
We just got a new puppy that requires a good deal of supervision. You may have noticed that I have been playing a ton of small scenarios recently. This is a direct result of sitting in the kitchen for 3 or 4 hours a night with a puppy, usually sleeping (the puppy that is, not me). This has given me plenty of time to play 1-2 scenarios a night with a couple of caveats.

The scenario has to be short so that if the puppy is awake for a substantial portion of the time you can still finish the play and it has to be small enough to fit on the kitchen table which has a functional limit of 4 GMUs.

I have found the search function on PG-HQ to be invaluable in finding candidates for my nightly excursion. Sadly, the SOM is a little too long for puppy time play. I'll have to sneak it in another time.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-17-2012, 05:12 AM,
RE: Get a Puppy
Matt, if you want to play longer scenarios, try getting a retired racing greyhound. Mine sleep enough where you could play 36-40 turns in real time... Smile
08-17-2012, 07:09 AM,
We already have a Great Dane who does a perfect job as a couch weight (like a paperweight only for couches). My daughter thought we should try something different so we got a Catahoula Leopard Dog, which really is a hunting dog but don't tell her. The dog defines manic depression. It is either so full of energy that it literally bounces off (into?) the walls or is sound asleep. Luckily my time with her is a little more on the comatose end permitting me to do things like walk across the kitchen floor without being targeted as a potential chew toy.
08-17-2012, 02:15 PM,
In the first 7 months we had our greyhound/collie mix I played one-half of a game on VASSAL. That was it. I'm just now being able to judiciously lay out some small mappers without fear of complete destruction. She's only eaten one counter, so far.
08-17-2012, 09:46 PM,
With the Dane, Hugmenot and I are able to play ftf while she sleeps on the floor at our feet (she loves Hugmenot, I think she helps by making me roll high on morale recovery). The puppy on the other hand needs to be relegated to another floor of the house...

Earlier, however, the Dane found exception with a GWAS game I had set up and one of the Spanish battleships from Dreadnought found a particularly grusome end. At that scale the Dane was much more fearsome than even a Kracken.
08-24-2012, 04:28 AM,
My Chihuahua doesn't even hold one map scenarios well. Smile