Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[KurS] Kursk: All the wait, but little plays
08-12-2012, 11:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 11:42 PM by larry marak.)
RE: Kursk: All the wait, but little plays
By the way Shad, in KSF SS infantry "SCH" is missing from the unique units and scenario listings for KSF. Did the Library staff get hung up on whether to count armored infantry as either foor or mechanized (due to the mechanized symbol) and accidently leave the poor bloody infantry out altogether?
08-12-2012, 11:35 PM,
(08-12-2012, 11:31 PM)larry marak Wrote: By the way Shad, in SS infantry "SCH" is missing from the unique units and scenario listings for KSF. Did the Library staff get hung up on whether to count armored infantry as either foor or mechanized and accidently leave the poor bloody infantry out altogether?

PG-HQ Forums > Panzer Grenadier > PG-HQ Q&A > List of known unresolved problems
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-13-2012, 12:21 AM,
Thanks for the heads up
08-13-2012, 02:15 AM,
Hey, I played 8 scenarios when KSF first came out but I wanted you guys to catchup and I also started a project of my own over the last month or more.
08-13-2012, 02:48 AM,
(08-12-2012, 11:31 PM)larry marak Wrote: By the way Shad, in KSF SS infantry "SCH" is missing from the unique units and scenario listings for KSF. Did the Library staff get hung up on whether to count armored infantry as either foor or mechanized (due to the mechanized symbol) and accidently leave the poor bloody infantry out altogether?

At PG's level of play (platoons), it is not clear to me what distinction the "symbol" can imply regarding mechanized vs. motorized vs. foot infantry. Since the transport and the fighting soldiers are separate "units," so-called mechanized infantry - however designated by a symbol - are foot units unless carried by armored tracked transports. Put another way, any foot unit is "mechanized" when being transported by a tracked or half-tracked transport.

Perhaps what I'm suggesting is that this issue is really a non-issue at the unit level found in PG. Gren/Sch/Inf platoons are all foot units whatever their organizational source at the battalion (or regimental) level, where, one might distinguished between a mechanized and motorized infantry battalion (regiment) .
08-13-2012, 09:35 AM,
Well, it is on my wish list, but I am still waiting to get settled into a new house and just started a new position at a new duty station. So it will have to wait... though I wish it did not have to.
08-13-2012, 01:21 PM,
Alas poor Yorek, I have to agree with you. So far using standard nato symbols has worked in classifying units as foot, motorized or mechanized, but using the mech infantry symbol for the Sch units is just misleading. I wish the "Infantry at Citadel" article that was in daily content years ago could be reposted, so we could see the organizational differences between SS Sch troop platoons and Wehrmact Inf, Grenadier, and Volksgrenadier platoons.
08-24-2012, 04:53 AM,
RE: [KurS] Kursk: All the wait, but little plays
Kursk is on my list, and so are about a zillion other games. I'm doing one last scenario of WotE for now. I don't really have the space for one of them, and the Air, Land and Sea really needs 2 players. After that, Kursk is theoretically next, but I may put something no-PG on the table first. Kursk looks very cool, so I want to get in a bunch of plays.
08-25-2012, 08:47 AM,
For what it's worth, Kursk is 2 ratings short of making the 30 vote minimum and assuming no great change between now and then it will take the top rated game spot by a mile. Here's the expected Top 5:

Code:
3.89 - Kursk (28 ratings)
3.7 - Cassino '44
3.52 - Elsenborn Ridge
3.42 - Fall of France
3.41 - Road to Berlin

Is is the best PG game ever? I doubt it. Newness and relief of finally owning it certainly have an impact. It'll be really interesting to see how it does long term. Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-25-2012, 09:04 AM,
I'm actually starting my 1st scenario of it tonight or over the weekend (we'll see how exhausted I am after the gym). Scenario 25, a nice one-mapper. When you give it this rating, are you talking the average rating of all the scenarios played?

BTW, with my copy of KSF, I had both counters that were falling out of the tree and a few counters where the lasers didn't cut all the way through and I had to pull out the rotary cutter.

As a total aside, in this scenario the Germans get one of their dreaded 11-1-1 leaders (they had a chance for 2 of them, but the flip went against them...and its so easy to flip the laser ones!).