Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[KurS] Kursk: All the wait, but little plays
08-26-2012, 09:15 AM,
RE: [KurS] Kursk: All the wait, but little plays
Only if you fall for it! Wink
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-27-2012, 03:37 PM,
(08-25-2012, 08:47 AM)Shad Wrote: Is is the best PG game ever? I doubt it. Newness and relief of finally owning it certainly have an impact. It'll be really interesting to see how it does long term. Smile

Also, as alluded to in another thread, the few plays it does have will 'up' that rating.

When looking at a whole new boxset, most gamers will pick the ones they 'fancy' first, thus giving them something that already appeals to their own tastes. Unless it disappoints in some way, its almost already a point to the good before play starts by simply being in that particular gamer's tastes.
09-13-2012, 10:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-14-2012, 12:11 AM by Hugmenot.)
I remembered why I am not crazy about playing KSF when I took the counters out in preparation for a Skype game tomorrow; just take a look at the attached pictures.

1. The Soviet Guards background color is too dark; very difficult for me to read the DF values at a normal distance.
2. The Soviet RKKA background is more grey than light green. It may not be apparent from the attached picture, but the background is too close to the grey German counters.
3. The German SS background is darker and the brown was replaced by salmon pink. Again, it's more difficult to read the DF value than on any other German SS counter.

They're not a showstopper by any means but it's annoying, especially considering I do not have perfect corrected vision.

Please note Matt's KSF counters are much cleaner than mine; in fact his counters look gorgeous. I've seen the War on the Equator laser-cut counters and they are fantastic. I will see the Indian Unity counters in a week and, if they are good, I will assume the problems were resolved and I will purchase Nihon Silk.

I have included a picture of my homemade counters just to show how they look up close, when compared to the KSF counters.

Attached Files Image(s)

10-06-2012, 01:34 AM,
I think I need to get a 9th scenario play in the weekend or sometime after.
10-06-2012, 03:42 PM,
I'll have one more Kursk play soon, before my quest to do the last 7 scenarios I'm missing from Airborne begins.
11-17-2012, 02:42 AM,
Are there issues ordering this one? I thought I kept hearing that there were problems with inventory, messed up counters, whatever. If there were issues, were those resolved? I pre-ordered mine through an online retailer I like but obviously that never happened.
11-17-2012, 03:07 AM,
AP will fulfill your order within 48 if you order K:SF now.

VPG - the manufacturer of the counters - improved their process considerably the past few months (part of the issue was a defective laser head) and the latest counters are nicer than the earlier efforts. My guess, and hopefully Joshua can jump in, is the latest K:SF counters are much nicer than the ones I posted above.

I bought a few more supplements with laser-cut counters after K:SF and I am very happy with the results. My one remaining issue is the counters are a bit darker than I would like. Keep in mind I have limited corrected vision and this may or not not be an issue at all for you.
11-17-2012, 03:40 AM,
Thanks for the response... good to know. Was thinking of some Kursk and maybe Saipan since I don't have any Pacific PG for possible Christmas gifts.
11-22-2012, 12:44 AM,
I haven't seen any recent batches of the KSF counters, I know the process has overall been improved, though.
11-22-2012, 01:57 AM,
It needs to be, since down the road Avalanche is hoping to make copies KSF and Maine available to distributors for the Christmas rush. Can you imagine if all of us tried to get replacement counters, or replacement Saipan maps at this point in Avalanche's precarious health?