Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
No hard feelings...
06-15-2012, 08:55 AM,
RE: No hard feelings...
I suspect that Mr. B. would define success for AVP as getting out of debt and obligations to former employees and purchasers, and becoming profitable enough to continue to employ him as designer/CEO till he's ready to retire. A large part of that solution includes adapting to a smaller niche market with affordable and profitable small print-run solutions.

The generic black silk-finish boxes with sleeves manufactured by the map printer and laser cutting, as well as selling downloads online are part of that solution. He is also trying to increase the visability of the brand by having products distributors want to carry..specifically Kursk SF and Sword of David, both of which have the prospects of being very good sellers retail.Dodgy
06-15-2012, 11:32 PM,
"why AP should be struggling so mightily to right the ship"

I believe that the answer is quite plain although given today's business ethics, perhaps it would be considered quaint. I believe that Mike does believe that he made promises and he will do his darndest to make good on those promises. Whether he can eventually meet all his promises remains to be seen but if that was not at the heart of it, folding would have been the correct solution. Indeed the boards were full of such speculation before 1866 was released. I believe the order of the releases is something that gives a hint to the company's intentions. If commercial success was being pursued, Kursk would have been first, but 1866 with its less marketable subject (and we do primarily buy on subject) was a statement that AVP was going to meet their promises to its long suffering customers and that it was doing so out of honor and not out of greed.

All of the changes that they have made in recent years reflect positively on their current ethical approach to the business. I can only hope that extends to their treatment of past designers and developers as circumstances permit.

Perhaps I am naive, but it is a naivete that gives me a warm feeling. Someone, somewhere in this world actually tries to do what they promised despite a much easier and less expensive way out. I had counted my money spent on Kursk and others as money lost for some time. I am thrilled to find out that I was wrong.
No "minor" country left behind...
06-15-2012, 11:58 PM,
(06-15-2012, 11:32 PM)Matt W Wrote: "why AP should be struggling so mightily to right the ship"

I believe that the answer is quite plain although given today's business ethics, perhaps it would be considered quaint. I believe that Mike does believe that he made promises and he will do his darndest to make good on those promises. Whether he can eventually meet all his promises remains to be seen but if that was not at the heart of it, folding would have been the correct solution. Indeed the boards were full of such speculation before 1866 was released. I believe the order of the releases is something that gives a hint to the company's intentions. If commercial success was being pursued, Kursk would have been first, but 1866 with its less marketable subject (and we do primarily buy on subject) was a statement that AVP was going to meet their promises to its long suffering customers and that it was doing so out of honor and not out of greed.

All of the changes that they have made in recent years reflect positively on their current ethical approach to the business. I can only hope that extends to their treatment of past designers and developers as circumstances permit.

Perhaps I am naive, but it is a naivete that gives me a warm feeling. Someone, somewhere in this world actually tries to do what they promised despite a much easier and less expensive way out. I had counted my money spent on Kursk and others as money lost for some time. I am thrilled to find out that I was wrong.

It was far simpler than that. He had gang printed the 1866 counters with a previous job, so it was cheaper to print 1866 since all he had to do was order the black boxes and box sleeves.
06-16-2012, 12:29 AM,
(06-15-2012, 11:32 PM)Matt W Wrote: "why AP should be struggling so mightily to right the ship"

I believe that Mike does believe that he made promises and he will do his darndest to make good on those promises.

Assuming he does fulfill them, this is a relatively short-term goal. At some point you need to look past your obligations and decide what you're working for.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-16-2012, 01:14 AM,
(06-16-2012, 12:29 AM)Shad Wrote: Assuming he does fulfill them, this is a relatively short-term goal. At some point you need to look past your obligations and decide what you're working for.
I believe larry marak provided the answer, at least in part.

I have taken lesser paying contracts/jobs on more than one occasion because my interest level in the specific products was worth more than extra money. In fact, my current plan is to retire in a few years so I can go back to being an inventor again despite reminders that the 3 years I spent inventing stuff were very difficult in terms of cash flow.

At least it will be fun and challenging.

And it will beat working IT for a medical supplier... Not a jab directed at you, that's my current and I am not enjoying it.
06-16-2012, 01:23 AM,
(06-15-2012, 11:58 PM)upintheattic Wrote: It was far simpler than that. He had gang printed the 1866 counters with a previous job, so it was cheaper to print 1866 since all he had to do was order the black boxes and box sleeves.

Darn it, I had really convinced myself of that one...
06-16-2012, 01:27 AM,
(06-16-2012, 12:29 AM)Shad Wrote: Assuming he does fulfill them, this is a relatively short-term goal. At some point you need to look past your obligations and decide what you're working for.

Quite right but first you have to get past them and Kursk: North Front is merely one of many remaining promises left. Considering survivial is one goal that only recently seems to have been, for the time being, fulfilled, it may be too soon to require a more long term objective.

Based on other indications, moreover, long term planning does not seem to have been a hallmark of the company. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done, merely that to suggest that there is a long term plan may be an unlikely state of affairs.
06-16-2012, 01:49 AM,

My experience with small businesses is that a lot of them are living job to job and have a hard time getting past the short-term goals. I stress long-term goals with them, and, frankly, getting them to pay for it (hey, its what I do for a living) and getting them to get away from the day to day to plan for it, and worse, getting them to stay the course when bumps come up (this is a gross oversimplification) is difficult.

Dr. Mike may have some ideas about long-term goals, he may even have some plans. And right now, he has to stabilize cash flow or tomorrow never comes for AP.
06-16-2012, 02:11 AM,
As I recall from Daily Contents columns, the final delay on 1866 was for proofing on the newest version of the series rules, which were included in the reissued Chat with a Chick (U.S. Civil War) and 1866. Dr. B has spoken about reviving the ancient and 19th century area movement franchises, with one more ancient and 2 more 19th century currently in the batter's cage.
06-16-2012, 02:27 AM,
Dr. Mike won't revive anything until he starts paying outside people, even if its in the form of royalties. He only has so many hours in the day.