Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Dunkirk (pre-played)
02-08-2019, 01:02 AM,
Thoughts on Dunkirk (pre-played)
Some good, some bad:
  • The boards are nice, much like the Lib'44 boards, but brighter.. The color is a bit odd, especially with the water, but nothing really weird.
  • The counter sett seems a little dense for 2 sheets. It is an interesting mix. I was a little surprised (but shouldn't have been) by the appearance of British Hotchkiss AT guns. The British AT gun layout looks better.
  • APL has gotten reduction stripes off of most of the pieces that shouldn't have them. I had pointed it out in proofings before, it seems someone is starting to notice. (If I had been a proofer on these I would have caught it again.)
  • There are 3 unspecified forces, not defined in the scenario book. Those are the Brandenburg commandos, Royal Marines, and some other blue guys (French marines?).
  • The aircraft counters are getting visually busier. Some people like it, I happen to not. It isn't excessive though. The aircraft mix for the British is a little disappointing. Then again, there wasn't a very diverse inventory to choose from.
  • Come guys, the backs of those casements? I am definitely remaking mine.

Generally a nice set. A few quirks, but looks fun. Will be playing soon.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
02-08-2019, 05:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2019, 07:54 AM by Hugmenot.)
RE: Thoughts on Dunkirk (pre-played)
I did not proof the countersheet so I am free of blame this time!
  • The French marines were in scenarios The Hell That Was Boulogne, The Bitter End of Calais, and Sacrifice Army during development. 
  • The KDO unit was in scenario Ugly Faces during development.
  • The Royal Marine units were in scenario Sacrifice Army during development.
I have not seen the final version of the scenario book and thus I don't know if the scenarios made it to production or if their names were changed.

I will order Dunkirk along with two games from other publishers when it arrives at Rockin' B Games.
02-08-2019, 10:13 AM,
Got the shipment notice - but not the game so I cannot dig through it.
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
02-08-2019, 01:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-08-2019, 01:48 PM by patman. Edit Reason: completeness )
Got it today. Have the book in front of me.

The three scenarios "The Hell of Boulogne" (22), "Bitter End at Calais" (23), and "Futile Sacrifice" (24) all have designations along the lines of

"2 x INF (French Marine)"

Which I guess corresponds to the 2 medium-blue counters with Anchor badges, which are indeed labeled "INF" with the standard infantry symbol.

The 3 gray-blue counters with the more ornate badge and the "MAR" [anchor symbol] designation are the Royal Marines, I guess?

Edit: the latter get called out as "3 x MAR (Roy Mar)" in scenario 24.
02-08-2019, 03:11 PM,
Anyone else get a map 119 that is lighter in color than the others ?
02-08-2019, 05:56 PM,
Yeah, my map 119 is lighter than the others as well. My first impression is that the others are a bit too dark and that the 119 base contrast level would have been better, but perhaps I will feel differently once the maps are on a table in a well-lit room.
02-09-2019, 01:11 AM,
Patman, our submission included 2 x MAR (French) for the French marines. Not sure why the MAR designation on the counters and scenario book was modified to INF but with an anchor symbol.

No big deal in the end.
02-09-2019, 03:36 AM,
I think I need to clarify what I meant; sorry if I'm using the wrong words.

By "symbol" I mean the box directly above the text describing the type of unit in the upper left corner. There's no anchor "symbol" on the French Marines, it uses the standard INF "x in a box" symbol. The anchor on the French Marines counter is in the unit "badge" (maybe that's the wrong word) in the upper center, between the aforementioned unit type descriptor on the left and the movement rating on the right. The badge is artwork of an anchor inside a dark blue home-plate shaped polygon. In contrast, the British Marines use the anchor symbol in the box above the "MAR" label (again, upper right corner), and their "badge" is some ornate work of art.
02-11-2019, 05:07 AM,
Road to Dunkirk!

My initial thoughts are good.

I haven't have time to punch-out or clip the counters yet but I have scan through the 47 scenarios and the counter sheets.

I like the scenario sizes, small to medium which are my favorite to play and I nice mix of interesting counters. The Motley truck and the PzI FLM to name a few. 8 maps, dang! Mike always complained if mine reached 6 maps and most were only 4 maps! I guess my only minor complaint is the maps, they are kind of on the darker side accept map 119 which is perfect.

Look like another great game in the PG series. Has anybody added this to the BGG yet?
02-11-2019, 05:10 AM,
Those Matilda Is and Matilda IIs are going to be a real challenge for the Germans to knockout.