Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mongolian People's Army
01-08-2019, 09:14 AM,
Mongolian People's Army
The MPA makes a whole 2 appearances in the PG system, and the counter selection is paltry. There is the basic CAV and the old Russian made FAI armored car. A Mongolian cavalry regiment had 2000 men, mostly cavalry. Then there was a machine-gun company, an engineer company, later in the war they seem to have gotten mortars. Divisionally there was artillery, probably in battalion strength, based on the Russian 76.2mm mountain howitzer. All units are horsed.

The CMG and ENG units only function as their unit type when dismounted. MGs are hard to fire from horseback. Searching for mines or setting demo charges is also difficult. BtW: the ENG unit is only 1 step.

Inspired by the 44th Mongolian Cavalry, which was probably a Russian unit in reality,  I fleshed out the army a bit.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-10-2019, 11:59 PM,
RE: Mongolian People's Army
Never much liked the PG rule that once you dismounted you couldn’t remount at a later time. It makes it impossible for the MGs to keep up in a running battle and establish support by fire positions. Perfer the IA rules for cavalry instead. Would you posit special rules for this cavalry force.
01-11-2019, 02:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-11-2019, 02:17 AM by plloyd1010.)
(01-10-2019, 11:59 PM)Greyfox Wrote: Never much liked the PG rule that once you dismounted you couldn’t remount at a later time. It makes it impossible for the MGs to keep up in a running battle and establish support by fire positions.  Perfer the IA rules for cavalry instead.  Would you posit special rules for this cavalry force.

Neither do I. The IA rule seems somewhat overly restrictive in some ways. I never saw the point of ID'ing the cavalry units in IA. It would make sense if demoralized, dismounted cavalry flees (horses run away for the duration, or dismounted cavalry enters an entrenchment (horse have to go somewhere else). Otherwise, cavalry should always be able to remount. I got my dismounted cavalry from Ottavio Ricci's Additional Italians.

Apart from Khalkhyn Gol, combat operations for the Mongolians were against the Manchukuo:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=739]  [Image: attachment.php?aid=740]  [Image: attachment.php?aid=741]

and the Nationalist Chinese and Kuomintang militia:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=746]  [Image: attachment.php?aid=743]  [Image: attachment.php?aid=742]    [Image: attachment.php?aid=745]

I'll see what I can do about a more practical, cut-down version of the IA rules.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-17-2019, 07:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2019, 01:57 AM by plloyd1010.)
Made the countersheet. Now need some more Chinese units and leader lists. If someone wants to create a leader list, I can fit 14 more counters on the sheet.

Attached Files
.pdf   Mongolian Army.pdf (Size: 3.28 MB / Downloads: 78)
01-24-2019, 01:43 AM,
You show the dismounted machine guns with 5 MP. Shouldn't they be 2?
01-24-2019, 01:48 AM,
Yup.
Any others?
01-24-2019, 04:18 AM,
These are really cool counters, Peter!
01-24-2019, 04:49 AM,
Thank you Daniel.

The DCMG counters have been corrected. I didn't see anything else. New sheet is up.