Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infantry encirclement
12-01-2018, 06:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-01-2018, 06:25 AM by Blackcloud6.)
Infantry encirclement
Here's a proposed optional rule:

Infantry encirclement:  Infantry and gun units that receive direct fire from a three or less hex range from directly opposite hex sides or three none connected hexsides have their morale reduced by one until there no longer any enemy units that can place such fire.   The morale drop is applied the moment the last qualifying DF is conducted against the stack.

This rule would enhance the reason for protecting flanks, trying to outflank and make a surrounded unit suffer a penalty for getting surrounded.  It may help in town assaults too.
12-01-2018, 07:14 AM,
RE: Infantry encirclement
Interesting.
I presume you mean through not from hexsides, and not down hex spines.
Would this modifier apply until the end of the turn? Or just for the 2nd shot?
I don't think I would apply it in towns (not that it would come up much. Also not in fortified positions, like the strongpoint entrenchments in NoEl.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
12-01-2018, 07:56 AM,
Yes, through hexsides. After discussing with some on FB I would change this from 3 hex range to only adjacent. It would apply from the second shot until the unit is no longer in such a position such as the enemy leaves or eliminated from one of the hexes or the friendly affected unit moves; the affect unit/stack is marked with an encirclement counter. yes it would apply to town as tin my view the unit would know it is encircled and would have to fight in more than one direction (one other reason to change to adjacent only). Strongpoints... probably not, but normal entrenchments, yes it would apply.

Why yes for towns and entrenchments? It makes it a bit tougher to just leave behind guys in a town to hold out. Surrounded they become desperate, can't get ammo etc.
12-01-2018, 08:48 AM,
(12-01-2018, 07:56 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: Strongpoints... probably not, but normal entrenchments, yes it would apply.
I meant the Strongpoint-Entrenchment combo as appeared in North of Elsenborn and Invasion of Germany. They are game creation to make somewhat special fortifications. I would expect that soldiers in them would know that they are expected to fight isolated for a while.

I disagreed with towns mostly based on the Eastern Front model. Both sides would often have guys holding out in buildings for days. I suppose it depends a lot on who is involved.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
12-01-2018, 08:59 AM,
A few years ago Alan Sawyer proposed some optional rules with the same intent:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/pg_isolation.php
12-01-2018, 09:44 AM,
(12-01-2018, 08:59 AM)rerathbun Wrote: A few years ago Alan Sawyer proposed some optional rules with the same intent:

http://www.avalanchepress.com/pg_isolation.php

I like those actually and now remember seeing them way back when.
12-01-2018, 09:46 AM,
(12-01-2018, 08:48 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(12-01-2018, 07:56 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: Strongpoints... probably not, but normal entrenchments, yes it would apply.
I meant the Strongpoint-Entrenchment combo as appeared in North of Elsenborn and Invasion of Germany. They are game creation to make somewhat special fortifications. I would expect that soldiers in them would know that they are expected to fight isolated for a while.

I disagreed with towns mostly based on the Eastern Front model. Both sides would often have guys holding out in buildings for days. I suppose it depends a lot on who is involved.

I think you make a special rule in the scenario for specific situations where encirclement would be NA for units in towns.