Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organizing PG Counters
08-05-2012, 12:50 AM,
Organizing PG Counters
I can't wrap my head around, nor settle how I should organizes all these counters.

I started out using Plano 3701s, one for each nationality. But once I realized that the leaders are module specific, I went to zip loc baggies for each module and just sorted them the module's box. But that becomes unwieldy and then you have the supplements to figure out. So I have been migrating back to nationality Planos with the module leaders in zip-locs in the game box.

But that does not seem to work either and you end up with a ton of infantry platoons that never seem to get used.

I wonder if it would not be better to use one Plano per game module and organize that way. I know one at times needs to get units from another game out for a certain scenario and that could cause a mix up if not careful. But I think this system would likely be better as one would use the counters for the the specific module and not have a big pile of stuff that really never gets used. I also think it might take less Planos to do it this way. But then, what does one do with the supplements? Have "supplement" Planos that two or three go into?

I'd like to know your thoughts as I really need to decide which way to go and stick with it. I may have to do some resorting but that is really not an issue right now.

"Help me Spock!" Huh
08-05-2012, 01:04 AM,
RE: Organizing PG Counters
I asked a very similar question here - http://www.pg-hq.com/comms/showthread.ph...68#pid1368 - to which Vice answered.

I started organizing my units by nations except for KSF, as I would like to keep my die-cut counters separate from my laser-cut counters.

I also started looking at pill box for leaders. I am thinking of using 1 box per two-nation game. 2 nations x (1 compartment for Lt + 1 for Cpt + 1 for others) + 1 compartment for aircrafts and other game specific marker.
08-05-2012, 01:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012, 01:10 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(08-05-2012, 12:50 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: I can't wrap my head around, nor settle how I should organizes all these counters.

Help me Spock

"Shut up Spock, we're rescuing you."
"Why thank you, Captain McCoy."

I find cross-stitch bobbin organizers such as seen below

http://www.createforless.com/Darice+Orga...4AodcVwADw

very useful. One can find them at any crafts store. There are sufficient compartments to separate nations into (1) infantry (broadly defined); (2) guns & transport; (3)armor and (4) leaders and a few compartments for morale status counters and other generic-type counters: I can fit all the counters from large games such as RtB into one box. Just write the game name on the box in marker and they can stack atop one another on a shelf or fit nicely into a drawer. The lids secure nicely and the counters do not get crushed (or pressed upon) as they do in a loose baggie.

The problem of supplements drawing on different game caches certainly persists however.
08-05-2012, 01:54 AM,
Thanks for the replies. I have a bunch of Plano 2701 boxes so I know that is what I am going to use. I like them because the compartments a large enough to fit a lot of counters and finger or tweezers can grab the counters in them.

So, I would like to narrow this discussion to nationality organizations vs. game organization. What are the pros and cons of each.

One thing I did do, like Hugmenot, was keep my KSF counters separate in their own organization. That really was the point when i started thinking that game module organization might be a better way to go.
08-05-2012, 02:42 AM,
A common discussion of an ongoing concern. I use Chessex counter trays. Leaders are sorted by nationality/game and coded, by marking the edges. Units are sorted by nationality/type, and are not coded in any way. I made cards with national flags. I put apicture up of my divisional shelf. It makes a fair exaple, I'll try and find it.
08-05-2012, 02:47 AM,
I have always stored my counters by game or supplement by using plano boxes. Sometimes one box holds counters from several supplements. In at least one case, I've split the counters from one supplement between two boxes.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
08-05-2012, 02:48 AM,
(08-05-2012, 01:54 AM)Blackcloud6 Wrote: So, I would like to narrow this discussion to nationality organizations vs. game organization. What are the pros and cons of each.

What I was trying to suggest is that the question need not be a one vs. the other. The bobbin-boxes I described allow one to have a box for each game within which both nationalities and unit-types can be separated and easily distinguished.

So, for example, when playing "Pavee" from Black SS, I grabbed my "Black SS" box (also has Secret Weapons & Iron Curtain counters); my "EBR" box (for the JgPzV and SPW-251's); and my "BN" box for the British. All I had to do was sift through the Heer armored units compartment in EBR to find the two JgPzV's and the Heer transport compartment for the SPW's.

I'm just say'n ...
08-05-2012, 03:27 AM,
In the attached photo is my entire Elsenborn Ridge counterset in a Plano 3600 box with Utility counters and the sections labeled. I separate by game as I only have 3 box sets. I also have Black SS, Sinister Forces and South Africa's War that came with counters but haven't separated those yet. I may keep those in a single plano and marking the supplement/troops and organizing planos by Theater of War or something like that.

(The yellow dice show what I usually roll on a 42 column bombardment... Smile)

08-05-2012, 06:00 AM,
I use 2x3 baggies for each unit type (available from WalMart in 100 count packs for $1.00 - a penny a baggie). And I do mean EACH unit type. I hate the Germans because they have so many different vehicle types. Some of the more numerous types (INF and leaders mostly from some games) go into a 3x5 baggie.

After all the unit types are in their unit baggies I then separate them into three categories: Infantry (included leaders), guns and vehicles. I then put all the INF types into one snack size baggie (or sandwich baggie if needed). These baggies are then packed into the box.

For example I just punched Kursk: South Flank (and got the dirty fingers to prove it). The Heer INF, SS INF, Heer vehicles and SS vehicles all got their own snack baggie while the Heer and SS guns went into one baggie since there are not a lot of them.

For the supplements I do the same thing only I have bigger gallon sized baggies to hold the different nationalities of the supplement. I keep all my supplements in a bankers box with the counter baggies filling in the box. For the supplements I also put the supplement name on a scrap of paper so I can see what supplement the counters go to without having to dig into it.

This works for me but I know people process information differently so it may not work for them.
08-05-2012, 01:28 PM,
Great price on small baggies, far less than Office Depot or Staples.