Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[House Rules] Are vehicles really diging in?
12-08-2013, 02:24 AM,
RE: Are vehicles really diging in?
Prime movers cannot dig in.

16.23 Cavalry and transports can't dig in.

1.2 Definitions. Transport Units: Vehicles used to transport personnel units and leaders, or tow crew-served weapons. This includes wagons, trucks and sledges. APCs are combat units which can act as transports as well

It would be even clearer if prime movers were added to the "wagons, trucks, and sledges" list above.
12-08-2013, 02:42 AM,
(12-08-2013, 02:24 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Prime movers cannot dig in.

16.23 Cavalry and transports can't dig in.

1.2 Definitions. Transport Units: Vehicles used to transport personnel units and leaders, or tow crew-served weapons. This includes wagons, trucks and sledges. APCs are combat units which can act as transports as well

It would be even clearer if prime movers were added to the "wagons, trucks, and sledges" list above.

That's the problem, being defined as prime movers apart from just transport. If they had no armor factor or direct fire value then I would just write them off as regular transport but they do have those values. The symbol on the counter is a wheel so I suppose I will go with that in the case of digging in but still, they are combat capable units. There would be no reason for a truck or wagon to dig-in, that is clear as they cannot fight. But if APCs can dig in, along with armored cars and tanks, which have direct fire and armor values then that is a little confusing. Prime movers are not defined separately in the rules from transports or APCs. In the 'Eastern Front' scenario book it only says they may only transport (verb, not noun) artillery units (not mortars) and that they are mechanized, nothing else, but they are not termed transports. I suppose that my argument would also be that it is not a question of vehicle size as bulky or lofty tank units (like the Grant) can dig-in. Anyway thanks for the input, perhaps this may cleared up in 4th edition rules.
12-08-2013, 03:09 AM,
I agree with you it is not entirely clear and why I replied to that effect in the 4th edition rule thread.

My hope is that the 4th edition rule will focus on clarifying all these little ambiguities that were raised the past few years.
12-08-2013, 03:42 AM,
(12-08-2013, 03:09 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I agree with you it is not entirely clear and why I replied to that effect in the 4th edition rule thread.

My hope is that the 4th edition rule will focus on clarifying all these little ambiguities that were raised the past few years.

I appreciate your honest and straightforward opinion on this. There is a lot that needs clarifying or redefining in the rules and am forever learning and adjusting as I go on with each scenario. Every week I am learning something new about the system through this site and recent shared plays. Thanks also for mentioning it on the 4th edition rules thread.