Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating Custom Maps
07-29-2018, 03:10 AM,
Creating Custom Maps
So...I've seen maps from FitS, EFD and Desert Rats....
I've seen images of some others....

I'm working out a larger campaign idea, new as I am to this particular series--to these games, I am tragically not so new...

So---I was wondering about some ideas/suggestions/cautions from the collected wisdom here:

1) I'm not as pleased with the colors, darkness, bright orangeness of the maps as presented.....am I alone here?

2) I've seen the Stalingrad image, I saw some google kmz type maps---are these "Image" maps necessary/preferred to drawings?

3) I've seen Hexdraw maps --- is that "acceptable" to the majority of players instead of 2)?

4) I want to be create custom maps---maybe even on the fly--for scenarios and campaigns---has anyone any preferred tools?
  I'm looking at HexDraw....CampaignCartographer3...google/kmz enhancements(which would turn into a library of backgrounds...maybe)...
  and at the top end..Adobe....

5) Is there interest in larger maps--not constrained by the "geomorphic compatibility" issues of the 13x17hex format? Historical scapes

6) if you had a good map, but you needed to print it 22x36 at a Kinkos/printer for $15?$20? would you?

7) Anyone like Bigger hexes?  I've seen 150% as the appropriate size...

Thanks---appreciate any insights....ideas
cjSmile
07-29-2018, 03:12 AM,
RE: Creating Custom Maps
AND SPEAKING OF MAPS....

Has anyone any other maps? images of maps in PDF or JPG or such that are accessible/available?

One idea is to work through and on these and create new combinations and make scenarios/campaigns with 
refined existing maps...

As an aside---I would assume, if we were using existing art---we could not resell them, but only provide them
for free?...I think the Powers-that-be are less receptive to people utilizing their work in new derivative products....

cjWink
07-29-2018, 08:19 AM,
I think you'd be best off starting with importing a hex grid into Inkscape (free svg editor) and going from there.

I don't mind the "classic" look of 80s era maps - look at Ambush's maps for example. The number one priority for me is clarity.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-29-2018, 12:32 PM,
I have no particular position on custom maps. I don't find them to be very useful beyond a specific scenario set, such as with Cassino '44. Attempts to make such maps more universal often result in big sheets, like those of SPI games.

That said, I echo Drew's feelings on priorities. Clarity and definition are the issues with any game map. a reasonable effort in aesthetics is usually adequate, so don't pretty up a map at the expense of clarity.

There have been a couple of custom maps here. Philippe made a Dom Butgenbach map a few years ago. I made a hex-scaled Stalingrad map, mostly as reference, and a bit of snarkyness. (I think I told you about that one over beer.) There were also some for the Brody-Dubno battles over on ConSim.

If you wish to make your own maps, I suggest either Hexdraw or Inkscape, with Pelle Nilsson's hexmap extension. Hexdraw (by default) produces maps looking much like Squad Leader, and was used to create most of the Valor & Victory maps. It has a lot of self contained images to get you started quickly. Inkscape is a full graphics editor, if your drawing skills are up to it, that is the better choice. John Cooper has created some generic terrain tiles, which I have found useful.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-29-2018, 01:53 PM,
(07-29-2018, 12:32 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I have no particular position on custom maps. I don't find them to be very useful beyond a specific scenario set, such as with Cassino '44. Attempts to make such maps more universal often result in big sheets, like those of SPI games.

That said, I echo Drew's feelings on priorities. Clarity and definition are the issues with any game map. a reasonable effort in aesthetics is usually adequate, so don't pretty up a map at the expense of clarity.

There have been a couple of custom maps here. Philippe made a Dom Butgenbach map a few years ago. I made a hex-scaled Stalingrad map, mostly as reference, and a bit of snarkyness. (I think I told you about that one over beer.) There were also some for the Brody-Dubno battles over on ConSim.

If you wish to make your own maps, I suggest either Hexdraw or Inkscape, with Pelle Nilsson's hexmap extension. Hexdraw (by default) produces maps looking much like Squad Leader, and was used to create most of the Valor & Victory maps. It has a lot of self contained images to get you started quickly. Inkscape is a full graphics editor, if your drawing skills are up to it, that is the better choice. John Cooper has created some generic terrain tiles, which I have found useful.

Inkscape looks great for the additional aesthetic....
Hexdraw looks simpler, but cruder final product (assuming you spend the time with Inkscape)

I've got to think about what I want---how flexible it needs to be.
Thanks!
I looked at Hexagrapher....that has some good examples as well...
07-30-2018, 02:29 AM,
I used HexDraw to draw all playtest maps I have used. Except for our first project which I drew with color crayons.

$15-20 to print a single 22" x 34" is cheap. Most local printers I know would charge roughly $35.

I like LnL Tactical X-maps so yes to liking bigger maps.
09-17-2018, 07:30 AM,
CJ on #1 you are not alone. For example , it has taken me a bit to warm to the FitS maps. The dark brown background washes out the hex lines. I also wonder why boards 1-8 were changed at all. New boards would have been preferrable to capture the exact terrain of the Brody--Dubno battlefield . Geographically, that batle would be better represented by Afrika Korps 4maps w/ trees.
01-13-2019, 08:28 AM,
(07-29-2018, 12:32 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I have no particular position on custom maps. I don't find them to be very useful beyond a specific scenario set, such as with Cassino '44. Attempts to make such maps more universal often result in big sheets, like those of SPI games.

Peter...sticking my nose back in time here to get started with maps....you mention Brody-Dubno battles on ConSim....I couldn't find anything?
did you have a time or other link?  I'd be real interested to see those maps ....
cjSmile
01-13-2019, 12:39 PM,
Craig, it was 3-4 years ago. The oldest reference I can find is Feb 2018, and that was Matt. I do have the files which were shared on ConSim. Unfortunately, the creator did not leave his name on anything.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-13-2019, 12:50 PM,
(01-13-2019, 12:39 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Craig, it was 3-4 years ago. The oldest reference I can find is Feb 2018, and that was Matt. I do have the files which were shared on ConSim. Unfortunately, the creator did not leave his name on anything.

yea, I found discussion about Brodo?? with Matt....but nothing about maps

Can I get copy of files? want to see what his maps are like....
hmmm...odd we can't see messages before....there are 100Ks of messages numbered...

ok...I'm not completely clueless