Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scenarios played, small & first?
07-25-2018, 09:04 AM,
RE: Scenarios played, small & first?
I feel for you. I remember reading up for War of Resistance as well and figuring out how to make a PG game coving it and changed my mind. I just don't have the energy for that large of a game. The Korean War project and the Philippines 1941-1945 was enough. I did enjoy doing Sicily and the Greco-Italian War, short and sweet.
07-25-2018, 09:29 AM,
Ah,War of Resistance! I'm looking it sitting on a shelf above my head unpunched.
07-25-2018, 09:20 PM,
I got a bad start in PG and recently decided to open a series of solo small-scenario playthroughs. I made a spreadsheet for EFD and RTB scenarios using PG HQ data with a presumed rating of playability for each scenerio equal to # of turns * # of units * # of maps.

On the third try I played Malaya Kaboshi (definitely a wrong spelling, BTW) from EFD and had a blast for a small, 476-rated scenario.
The Germans were singulary lucky to advance upon a city with a big functioning tank factory.
07-25-2018, 11:03 PM,
(Number of turns) x (Number of units) is what I used to select scenarios when I started playing PG. All other things being equal, the number of maps has very little influence on the playing time in my opinion.
07-26-2018, 01:44 AM,
I usually play in sequential order just to stay organized. Its nice when the scenarios are at least roughly in chronological order for this reason too.

I'm playing through AK and only have space for one map atm so I have to jump around a lot. That and the seemingly random scenario order makes my head hurt  Sad
07-26-2018, 03:25 AM,
" I always wanted to tackle the 12 map Fronte Russo scenario. I wouldn't even know where to set it up."

CSW Expo, next year. Smile
07-26-2018, 04:12 AM,
Keep in mind many of the large area scenarios in Fronte Russo include a map or two that are there primarily to provide additional flanking options.

I will finish playing all the scenarios one day.
07-26-2018, 05:01 AM,
(07-25-2018, 08:32 AM)Shad Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 07:49 AM)saracv3 Wrote: I always wanted to tackle the 12 map Fronte Russo scenario. I wouldn't even know where to set it up.

This sort of problem is why I got into Vassal.

Many years ago I started work on a Vassal module for War of Resistance. Here's my photo showing the map layout:

I never finished the module, though  Confused

I sooooooo want that game but I can never find it for a reasonable price. EvilBay typically wants cash, blood, and a small child in payment. 
07-26-2018, 05:44 AM,
(07-26-2018, 05:01 AM)Coniglius Wrote: I sooooooo want that game but I can never find it for a reasonable price. EvilBay typically wants cash, blood, and a small child in payment. 

Patience is key with WoR. The price fluctuates quite a bit. I picked my copy up NIB for $45 off eBay some years ago. The trick is there are only ever very few copies for sale.

If I was looking for one today, I'd ask at the ConSimWorld marketplace. I'm sure there are some old HMS/GRD fans with one foot in the grave who could be talked into parting with it for $50 or something.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-26-2018, 09:37 PM,
(07-25-2018, 11:03 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: (Number of turns) x (Number of units) is what I used to select scenarios when I started playing PG. All other things being equal, the number of maps has very little influence on the playing time in my opinion.

Surely that makes sense but number of maps serves as a tiebreak between equally-rated scenarios and accounts for the chore of setting them properly. Smile
The Germans were singulary lucky to advance upon a city with a big functioning tank factory.