Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Purchase
06-16-2018, 05:31 AM,
Next Purchase
OK... so I'm interested enough in the PG game series to invest in another purchase.  I currently have Eastern Front (2005 version).  What would be a good second purchase for this series?
06-16-2018, 05:50 AM,
RE: Next Purchase
What interests you most? Certain nations? Locations? Hardware? And go from there...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-16-2018, 06:24 AM,
Since you only have 8 boards, and could have trouble getting the older boards, stay way from expansions. At least check the requirements of any you might be interested in very carefully.

For complete games, Elsenborn Ridge is a good, basic choice. Fall of France is a step up from that in complexity. Both have good quality maps & pieces. On the Eastern Front, Broken Axis would be my choice, though the Kursk games are good too.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
06-16-2018, 02:34 PM,
(06-16-2018, 05:50 AM)Shad Wrote: What interests you most? Certain nations? Locations? Hardware? And go from there...

I'm pretty much interested in anything to do with WWII.  Looking to add boxed games that will add breadth to the PG series and at the same time capture those boxed games that would be good to have before they go out of print.  Looking at the publication dates some of these games have been around for quite some time and am assuming they may go out of print very soon.
06-16-2018, 02:36 PM,
(06-16-2018, 06:24 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Since you only have 8 boards, and could have trouble getting the older boards, stay way from expansions. At least check the requirements of any you might be interested in very carefully.

For complete games, Elsenborn Ridge is a good, basic choice. Fall of France is a step up from that in complexity. Both have good quality maps & pieces. On the Eastern Front, Broken Axis would be my choice, though the Kursk games are good too.

Thank you, sir for the warning regarding the expansions and for the recommendations of Elsenborn Ridge & Fall of France.  Was looking at Elsenborn Ridge - Battle of the Bulge always a favorite of mine - maybe even an addiction.  Hard to not buy a wargame on that subject even though I own quite a few.
06-16-2018, 11:37 PM,
Elsenborn Ridge and Fall of France are an excellent choice if you're fairly new to the system. Well-rated and enough small to medium scenarios that you will be able to learn the system quickly.

My recommendation for newcomers is to play a couple of small scenarios (16 turns or less, 50 pieces or less) first to learn the mechanics before moving on to larger scenarios.
06-17-2018, 05:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-17-2018, 05:01 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Given that you are starting out with PG, one perspective might be to start with early war games and move on to later ones?  That is, choose Fall of France.  Might be interesting and fun to play one's way up through mid-war and late-war capabilities and equipment.

Not suggesting that this is the "right way" or "better way" or anything such: just given that your one other game is an early-war one, the thought occurred.  Certainly one cannot go wrong with Elsenborn Ridge.
06-17-2018, 01:09 PM,
Right now Broken Axis and either of the Kursk games are excellent for the Eastern Front. Saipan is an excellent Pacific Theatre choice, with the advantage that the Mariana book expands it and requires no other game.
06-18-2018, 02:16 PM,
Thanks all! Decisions, decisions Smile
06-23-2018, 06:16 AM,
(06-17-2018, 05:00 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Given that you are starting out with PG, one perspective might be to start with early war games and move on to later ones?  That is, choose Fall of France.  Might be interesting and fun to play one's way up through mid-war and late-war capabilities and equipment.

Not suggesting that this is the "right way" or "better way" or anything such: just given that your one other game is an early-war one, the thought occurred.  Certainly one cannot go wrong with Elsenborn Ridge.

I tend to agree with this approach. In the past year or so I have played War on the Equator (Peru vs Ecuador), Hopeless but not Serious (Austrian vs German in the 1930's), Iron Wolves (Lithuanians), Fall of France, and currently Fire in the Steppe. I have always preferred early war stuff even if hypothetical. 
I'm kind of in the mindset to play a lot of early war eastern front right now, and gradually work my up to 1943. This gives a good representation of the Soviet armor development starting with old T-26's and through the introduction of the T-34's. Soviets in the early war are a tough side to play (don't expect to win with them very often) but they are resilient and as you progress from 1941 into 1942, and 1943, you'll see a marked difference in their abilities and capabilities.