Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules 16.2] Dug In status for limbering units
08-02-2012, 12:04 AM,
[Rules 16.2] Dug In status for limbering units
Quick clarification on a situation: If a AT/Arty unit is dug in a hex and limbers up to a transport in preparation for moving, is the unit still considered dug in as per rule 16.24 which state that the Dug in marker is removed when the unit leaves the hex? To me, this reads that the arty unit can limber up, remain dug in until it is time to move out of the hex, at which time it loses the Dug in status.
08-02-2012, 12:18 AM,
RE: [Rules 16.2] Dug In status for limbering units
That is also my interpretation of the rules.

My assumption is the AT/Arty guns did not physically move while being limbered or unlimbered and thus would remain in the dug in.
08-02-2012, 01:31 AM,
I would say yes that if dugin and limbers/unlimbers, BUT not when it hooks to a transport as transports cannot dig in per 16.23 of the rules.
08-02-2012, 12:47 PM,
(08-02-2012, 01:31 AM)campsawyer Wrote: I would say yes that if dugin and limbers/unlimbers, BUT not when it hooks to a transport as transports cannot dig in per 16.23 of the rules.

So the units that can limber and move by themselves (e.g. Mortars, certain arty pieces in scenarios, etc) would remain dug-in after limbering and only lose the status after moving as per 16.24. In the case I am referring to, it is actually an AT Gun that requires a transport to move so to limber and load would be one and the same for this unit and so it would make sense that it NOT be considered dug in.

(FWIW, this unit limbered/loaded on transport, was bombarded into disruption and subsequently assaulted to oblivion.)
08-02-2012, 10:15 PM,
Tony, you are right on. I would added that if the AT gun just wanted to limber and not load on the transport they would remain dugin.
08-04-2012, 04:53 AM,
"As per the rules" rule 5.6 to be exact, "the transport unit and everything it carries count as one unit for stacking, movement and combat purposes." Thus, unless the transport was dig in, the unit is no longer dug in once it loads. You may recall that transports are specifically excluded from digging in.

A technical exception to this would be APC's, which can dig in. Thus an AT might be able to load on an APC and the APC would remain dug in.
08-04-2012, 06:27 AM,
Quote:A technical exception to this would be APC's, which can dig in. Thus an AT might be able to load on an APC and the APC would remain dug in.

I wasn't going to give that one away, but your are correct Peter. Wink