Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Armor joining an in progress assault hex
07-29-2012, 06:27 AM,
Armor joining an in progress assault hex
How can an adjacent armor unit move into an already established assault hex?

I assume that it can activate and then move in but can it then start an assault resolution in that hex involving all the units already there (assuming the friendly units already in the hex have not activated this turn)?

This seems to be a pain to coordinate with INF since non-tank leaders can't activate armor units so if the hex is at full strength you would need to activate the INF first and have one move out (leaving other behind so no exiting fire) and then have another activation to move the armor in.
07-29-2012, 07:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2012, 08:28 AM by Shad.)
RE: Armor joining an in progress assault hex
(07-29-2012, 06:27 AM)JoeBuckeye Wrote: How can an adjacent armor unit move into an already established assault hex?

I assume that it can activate and then move in but can it then start an assault resolution in that hex involving all the units already there (assuming the friendly units already in the hex have not activated this turn)?

This seems to be a pain to coordinate with INF since non-tank leaders can't activate armor units so if the hex is at full strength you would need to activate the INF first and have one move out (leaving other behind so no exiting fire) and then have another activation to move the armor in.

Joe,

This is how you do it (followed by loads of provisos thereafter). I use rule numbers so that you may look them up (and not out of some amazing knowledge of rule numbers !!)

Your AFV may enter the hex with a 'Fire' activation and then see 12.3 'Optional Combat'. IF you so wish, the AFV can stir the hornets nest and the assault with all your troops can take place as per your Q.

If it is a non-tank leader AFV and no tank leader has activated him, then you are correct, it can not make an assault move due to rules 5.4 combined with 3.31.

If the assault hex is at full strength BEFORE the AFV enters, then yes, a unit must leave. Once again YES, this is an awkward pain, but as far as I am concerned, such combat is not an easy thing to arrange in real life. If you have ever been next to an AFV group whilst they are moving, it is practically impossible to direct them satisfactorily in any detail at all. It should be difficult in game rules Smile

So in such a situation, activate a foot unit to exit the hex. Next activation, get the AFV going to enter the hex and stir them up and have your assault.
07-29-2012, 11:02 AM,
If the assault hex is at full strength BEFORE the AFV enters

I believe Vince means that there is already 3 units of your units in the hex. Full or reduced strength has no bearing on whether they can enter the assault.
07-31-2012, 12:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012, 12:54 AM by Pippers.)
(07-29-2012, 07:55 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Your AFV may enter the hex with a 'Fire' activation and then see 12.3 'Optional Combat'. IF you so wish, the AFV can stir the hornets nest and the assault with all your troops can take place as per your Q.

Are you talking about the AFV assaulting on its own when you say "enter the hex with a 'Fire' activation"? Is there any reason you would want an AFV to assault on it's own, and then have the infantry assault on their own the next segment? The shifts that come with AFV with support infantry are nice.
07-31-2012, 12:57 AM,
When a unit enters an assault hex it may initiate an assault together with all unactivated units already in the assault hex. See example 1 under section 12.3 in the annotated rules. It specifically addresses this situation.
No "minor" country left behind...
07-31-2012, 01:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012, 01:02 AM by vince hughes.)
(07-31-2012, 12:53 AM)Pippers Wrote:
(07-29-2012, 07:55 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Your AFV may enter the hex with a 'Fire' activation and then see 12.3 'Optional Combat'. IF you so wish, the AFV can stir the hornets nest and the assault with all your troops can take place as per your Q.

Are you talking about the AFV assaulting on its own when you say "enter the hex with a 'Fire' activation"? Is there any reason you would want an AFV to assault on it's own, and then have the infantry assault on their own the next segment? The shifts that come with AFV with support infantry are nice.

No Pippers, I was merely explaining to Joe how he gets the AFV into the hex.

It has to activate 'on its own' when outside the hex and use a FIRE activation to enter as the foot leader in the assault certainly can not call him in. When it enters, it can then stir up the rest of the hex as per the 'optional combat rules' at 12.3.

AFV's however, do not add a bonus to all nations and all periods.

Also, sometimes, it may suit an attacker to have 2 seperate 'jabs' at the defenders, but thats another discussion. Point was, I wasn't advocating anything, merely letting JB know the rules as per his Q.

To be honest though, I may have completely misunderstood your Q Smile
07-31-2012, 02:09 AM,
No, I was just curious of the wording more than anything. "FIRE activation" rather than simply calling it an assault. I was curious if I was missing some other rule I wasn't aware of.
07-31-2012, 04:02 AM,
(07-31-2012, 02:09 AM)Pippers Wrote: No, I was just curious of the wording more than anything. "FIRE activation" rather than simply calling it an assault. I was curious if I was missing some other rule I wasn't aware of.

Technically, There is no "assault" activation, just "Move" or "Fire". You activate an assault with the fire activation. This means that once committed to the Fire you must do those actions not the Move.
07-31-2012, 05:41 AM,
(07-31-2012, 04:02 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Technically, There is no "assault" activation, just "Move" or "Fire". You activate an assault with the fire activation. This means that once committed to the Fire you must do those actions not the Move.

Heeeeeeere we go Big Grin