• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gold Club News Today - New PG Games Listed
05-25-2018, 08:09 AM,
RE: Gold Club News Today - New PG Games Listed
True Andrew, that might happen someday!
05-25-2018, 03:01 PM,
(05-25-2018, 07:10 AM)Shad Wrote:
(05-19-2018, 03:10 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Coniglius, I think that is part of my frustration, is I put a lot of effort into making that game on a never before published title at this scale and will the fruits of my labors be rewarded for this effort or not?

Did you sign any sort of confidentiality agreement with AP? What's to stop you from publishing your scenarios as a free unofficial expansion? If you think Mike might sit on it indefinitely... Confused

That could be burning some bridges.  OTOH, there are non-MMP companies who publish scenarios for ASL.  I'm sure they pay MMP a royalty.  You might want to suggest that to Dr. B.  You form "Jay is Great Publishing Company", put out your own supplements, and give him his pound of flesh, and everyone is happy.
05-26-2018, 02:18 AM,
I'll probably let them sit for a couple of years and see what pans out.
05-26-2018, 04:54 AM,
(05-25-2018, 03:01 PM)J6A Wrote:
(05-19-2018, 03:10 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Coniglius, I think that is part of my frustration, is I put a lot of effort into making that game on a never before published title at this scale and will the fruits of my labors be rewarded for this effort or not?

Did you sign any sort of confidentiality agreement with AP? What's to stop you from publishing your scenarios as a free unofficial expansion? If you think Mike might sit on it indefinitely... Confused

That could be burning some bridges.  OTOH, there are non-MMP companies who publish scenarios for ASL.  I'm sure they pay MMP a royalty.  You might want to suggest that to Dr. B.  You form "Jay is Great Publishing Company", put out your own supplements, and give him his pound of flesh, and everyone is happy.

Who pays MMP a royalty for publishing unofficial scenarios? Are they selling them?

My suggestion was for him to release them for free rather than let his hard work mold on the shelf forever.

It's Jay's business anyways, just throwing that out there since I read his remarks as coming from a point of great frustration.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
05-27-2018, 05:38 AM,
(05-26-2018, 04:54 AM)Shad Wrote:

Who pays MMP a royalty for publishing unofficial scenarios? Are they selling them?

My suggestion was for him to release them for free rather than let his hard work mold on the shelf forever.

It's Jay's business anyways, just throwing that out there since I read his remarks as coming from a point of great frustration.

Just a guess that people like Critical Hit have to pay MMP something for the use of the ASL name.

If not, MMP needs better lawyers.
05-27-2018, 11:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-27-2018, 11:03 AM by larry marak.)
(05-27-2018, 05:38 AM)J6A Wrote:
(05-26-2018, 04:54 AM)Shad Wrote:

Just a guess that people like Critical Hit have to pay MMP something for the use of the ASL name.

If not, MMP needs better lawyers.

That 's why Critical Hit doesn't label any of their products ASL. It was established in the courts in Monarch Avalon vs Critical Hit last century that Critical Hit could continue to publish ASL material as long as it is labeled either Squads and Leaders or ASLComp.  Not sure if the other publishers which say "for ASL" pay a stipend to either MMP or Hasbro.  The guys at MMP have got much more important things to spend money on than litigation.
05-28-2018, 01:28 AM,
Ah, I didn't realize they didn't label them. And didn't realize there was a lawsuit. I'd rather pay a royalty, which I'd build into my pricing, than have potential litigation.
05-28-2018, 02:07 AM,
Monarch-Avalon experimented with licensing in the 80' s with 3W getting the nod to produce new official scenarios for the SL gametes.  When 3W stared releasing Pacific Theatre SL scenarios and maps Avalon realized they'd lost editorial control and the final say.  CH, which started out as a fan publisher, started producing maps and counters for ASL, as well as new rules. This resulted in an federal raid on their home and seizure of all their products.  The courts then played Solomon, determing  what CH could sell and what they couldn't.  And the Tapios products and office equipment was returned.  This court outcome lead to the creation of a number of third party publishers.  
05-29-2018, 07:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-29-2018, 07:36 AM by petermc. Edit Reason: Typo )
My understanding is that MMP is the only company that pays for an ASL license. They pay Hasbro. If Critical Hit were to pay (they never have), they would probably pay Hasbro, not MMP, but then again I imagine MMP pays for exclusivity.

And pound for pound th CH stuff costs way more and looks worse. Weird.

As for Jay's work, he should do what he thinks is best. Waiting it out is tough, I get it. Wargaming publishing horizons are measured in years or sometomes decades. Imagine being a research contributor for Total War!
06-01-2018, 02:01 PM,
Mike's/Avalanche Press most recent update:

We've invested an enormous amount (by our standards) and have a great deal of stuff on the way.

Red Victory is here now, and we'll probably declare Armata Romana available tomorrow (doing that on a Friday seems to cut down on the DOS attacks). We also have reprints of South Flank, Liberation 1944, An Army at Dawn about to assemble and Kokoda Campaign, Broken Axis, Jutland, High Seas Fleet, Spearhead Division, Ships of Plan Z and Second Great War just added to the shelves.

We should see Jutland 1919, Africa Orientale Italiana, Afrika 1944 and Eastern Fleet 2nd ed pretty soon, and reprints of CounterAttack, 1940, Conquest of Ethiopia, Remember the Maine, Burning Tigers and Saipan 1944.

Over summer we'll have more reprints, including the four books you have on order, some big new games like Midway Deluxe, Cruel Sea and Fall of Empires and some smaller ones like Pragmatic Sanction.

It's the largest set of print orders we've placed in the new era, almost up to the old Avalanche Press' fill-a-shipping-container orders from China back in the day.

After that we'll do some more.