Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SotM] 2012 August - Prepare for Battle!
08-13-2012, 03:33 AM,
RE: [SotM] 2012 August - Prepare for Battle!
(08-13-2012, 03:10 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(08-12-2012, 01:02 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Hmm. in looking at setup some of the Italians ATG's and AA guns are fixed in place, but I am thinking that they will also need to stay mobile too. We'll see how it plays out.

To be specific, the IT 20mm AA guns (AT = 0-4) have a movement of 1 so they can self-move without limbering (subject of course to leader activation for combat movement). The 47mm AT guns (AT = 3-5) must be limbered to move, but IT side has no transport in this scenario. I did not find any rules on "dragging," so it would seem that the AT guns are in fact fixed in place for this scenario.

I did not notice the 20mm that can move, interesting but not really a factor to my play. The 81's did the job.
08-16-2012, 12:54 AM,
Just finished the one, easy Italian win really, though note I used the OOB as given with 6 Italian HMG.

Will be an AAR on PG-HQ but I has started it and it threw me out after I had typed about 250 words, this happens a lot to me, is their a built in AAR critic in PG HQ which throw you out if your AAR is boring.

No matter here are a few stats, by GT11 the Italians had inflicted 8 step losses on the Indian forces.

Total Losses were

Italian Maggiore 10 x INF 2 x HMG 3 x 47mm 2 x 20mm 1 x 81mm Step losses

Commonwealt Lt 16 x Inf 2 x HMG 2 x ACW 2 x 81mm 1 x Valentine Step losses

I will be surprised if there are many Commonwealth wins.
08-16-2012, 02:50 AM,
(08-16-2012, 12:54 AM)waynebaumber Wrote: losses

I will be surprised if there are many Commonwealth wins.

Only through nine turns, but this one is looking close. The CW has lost eight steps (all three ACW's, but no Valentines), and the IT five, but there must be about 6-7 Demoralized IT units. The CW took advantage of the LT 20-m hexes (and the -1 DF shift) to advance adjacent with relatively light losses from OF and through gaps in the IT line. Right now, there are really three battles going on: CW INF/HMG vs. two IT dug-in 2xINF hexes; CW clearing away the remains of the IT center; and some CW units engaging the IT artillery park (and some fled DEM units). The IT right (from the IT POV) is relatively unmolested: so, leave the DUG-INs to counter-attack or sit and wait?

The CW morale and better leadership, particularly in having more leaders with combat bonus has made the difference. That, and a hideous run of ten straight 6-8 rolls on adjacent DF/OF by the IT defenders as the CW "approached and infiltrated."

Will update with a full AAR when completed.
08-16-2012, 02:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2012, 02:58 AM by vince hughes.)
(08-16-2012, 12:54 AM)waynebaumber Wrote: By Turn 11 the Italians had inflicted 8 step-losses on the Indians

LOL - Tony and I have reached turn 14 and we are not even within range of each other yet !

'The Langster' appears to be a hard task-master and wants his army to march 3 hours before even firing a shot Smile
08-16-2012, 03:27 AM,
I hasten to add that the LOL in my above post is not directed at Tony but to the fact at how quickly the other plays have got "Down and Dirty" compared to ours.

Tony has advanced his men at distance from my position and marched them straight up and along onto the ridge as a group so as to have them all in tact when his attack goes in. So no uphill fighting for his boys at this juncture. Yes, it will reduce the turns he has available to move the Italians, but it does have the interesting (and different) facet that his attacking force are all in tact at 'zero hour'.

Fascinating how the different plays develop ?

We'll see how it plays out in session 2
08-16-2012, 05:55 AM,
(08-16-2012, 03:27 AM)vince hughes Wrote: I hasten to add that the LOL in my above post is not directed at Tony but to the fact at how quickly the other plays have got "Down and Dirty" compared to ours.

Tony has advanced his men at distance from my position and marched them straight up and along onto the ridge as a group so as to have them all in tact when his attack goes in. So no uphill fighting for his boys at this juncture. Yes, it will reduce the turns he has available to move the Italians, but it does have the interesting (and different) facet that his attacking force are all in tact at 'zero hour'.

Fascinating how the different plays develop ?

We'll see how it plays out in session 2

Vince, I am surprised you are not generating so causalities harassing him with your OBA. You must be holding back until he gets close. I tried a similar tactic as Tony, move up the ridge out of range and march down, but this became deadly with the self spotting mortars.
08-16-2012, 07:03 AM,
2 x 10 OBA does not cause too much chaos against decent led '8' moraled troops.

We're just sparring at present
08-16-2012, 12:48 PM,
I have found that I am much more circumspect in my advances when playing face to face. Playing solo I tend to go for the jugular. I also notice that when I go for the jugular I often bleed out...
No "minor" country left behind...
08-17-2012, 12:02 AM,
(08-16-2012, 12:48 PM)Matt W Wrote: I have found that I am much more circumspect in my advances when playing face to face. Playing solo I tend to go for the jugular. I also notice that when I go for the jugular I often bleed out...

Excellent point and a good example of why solo play and FtF often bring out differing results for the same scenario. I enjoy solo play, but FtF is more of a challenge.
08-17-2012, 06:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-17-2012, 06:21 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(08-16-2012, 12:48 PM)Matt W Wrote: I have found that I am much more circumspect in my advances when playing face to face. Playing solo I tend to go for the jugular. I also notice that when I go for the jugular I often bleed out...

Try playing against a fifteen-year-old with "no fear" and completely motivated to crush the "old man" whatever the costs! No vampire went for the jugular faster or with more vigor! Sad