Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[SotM] 2012 August - Prepare for Battle!
08-11-2012, 11:00 AM,
RE: [SotM] 2012 August - Prepare for Battle!
Got a bit of an idea here: how about those of you who play this scenario keep some additional stats for comparison?

At the very least please:
  • record your graveyard -- so we can see who is losing what units
  • record your final VPs -- so we can see whether results were close or not
Other stuff?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-11-2012, 11:09 AM,
(08-11-2012, 11:00 AM)Shad Wrote: Got a bit of an idea here: how about those of you who play this scenario keep some additional stats for comparison?

At the very least please:
  • record your graveyard -- so we can see who is losing what units
  • record your final VPs -- so we can see whether results were close or not
Other stuff?

Sounds good. They will be in my AAR.
08-11-2012, 11:57 AM,
There are no VP's in this one Andy.

Perhaps the following:

Step Losses and each type of step

What officers lost.

If Indian reaches 8 losses - What Turn

If Italian goes lower than 6 units on a 2nd level hill hex - What Turn

What Turn, if not game end, was the game called.

Remember, if Indian loses 8 steps, they can still fight on for a draw and vice versa with the Italians.
08-11-2012, 12:59 PM,
Quote:Remember, if Indian loses 8 steps, they can still fight on for a draw and vice versa with the Italians.

I was thinking about this and figured that this will probably go until turn 36 or very close to it because of this. Will find out as I am going to try to get this one in this next week as I doubt I will have time after that.
08-12-2012, 01:54 AM,
(08-11-2012, 09:03 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: I set this one up recently and ran into the same issue. I decided to use a BERS HMG unit with the standard HMG values. I figured that the first HMG unit lost would replace the BERS unit, and the problem was solved.

For the record, I didn't play the game out.

I was going to use the colonial one on my end as the stats exactly the same for both... the counter is just a little darker.

It's good to know that I didn't lose the counter.
08-12-2012, 04:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012, 04:19 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Used the MIT HMG to supplement the regular Italian Army OOB.

Have completed five turns of this: the 20-m hill terrain provides the Commonwealth attackers with cover and concealment during their close approach - making the IT OF (and OBA) a bit less effective (-1 col shift to the DF) than had this been an approach across open terrain (of course, did get in a few OBA shots as CW forces entered the board). So far, though IT AT fire has been relatively ineffective (killed one ACW), but the huge stack of tanks and ACW's managed back-to-back M1's against a dug-in HMGx2 hex resulting in two demoralized units (and a disrupted leader) and a potential big hole in the line. CW losses are a step of INF and one ACW along with some morale stressed 3-in mortars.
08-12-2012, 05:41 AM,
(08-11-2012, 11:57 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Remember, if Indian loses 8 steps, they can still fight on for a draw and vice versa with the Italians.

Forgive me, but I am a bit confused by this. Having lost eight steps, the CW (Indian) player can only play for a win: the CW player wins only so long as there are no more than six Italian units in a 40-m hex no matter what their own losses.

The only draw result possible is the Italian player having seven or more units at 40-m BUT having failed to eliminate eight CW steps. Perhaps the CW might play for a draw under the following: having lost six-seven steps (that is, not yet eight) without substantially weakening the Italians, he determines that a win is improbable and decides to retreat and/or hold position to keep the IT player from attaining the "at least eight Indian steps have been eliminated" condition. But having lost eight steps, the CW player has nothing to lose any longer by prosecuting the attack to the end.
08-12-2012, 07:03 AM,
No forgiveness sook. I was at work. Good point well made,. No need for confusion on your part.

OK... point I was making is IF the Indian player loses 8 steps, he ain't necessarily lost.

But you are right. Even if the Indian loses 8 steps, he still wins by clearing the Italians down to less than 6 on 2nd levels. So the Italian is going to have to end up with 6+ 'up there'
08-12-2012, 01:02 PM,
Hmm. in looking at setup some of the Italians ATG's and AA guns are fixed in place, but I am thinking that they will also need to stay mobile too. We'll see how it plays out.
08-13-2012, 03:10 AM,
(08-12-2012, 01:02 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Hmm. in looking at setup some of the Italians ATG's and AA guns are fixed in place, but I am thinking that they will also need to stay mobile too. We'll see how it plays out.

To be specific, the IT 20mm AA guns (AT = 0-4) have a movement of 1 so they can self-move without limbering (subject of course to leader activation for combat movement). The 47mm AT guns (AT = 3-5) must be limbered to move, but IT side has no transport in this scenario. I did not find any rules on "dragging," so it would seem that the AT guns are in fact fixed in place for this scenario.