Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light woods
07-27-2012, 07:35 PM,
Light woods
Am I the first one to notice ???
In Panzer Lehr special rules, it says : "the only combat effect is that direct fire targeted at or through a light woods hex suffers a -1 column modifier".

OR THROUGH !

At last. Smile
07-27-2012, 09:22 PM,
RE: Light woods
This was first added in Winter Soldiers.

Also the fields in Winter Soldiers are modified too.
07-27-2012, 11:16 PM,
(07-27-2012, 09:22 PM)campsawyer Wrote: This was first added in Winter Soldiers.

Also the fields in Winter Soldiers are modified too.

Ah ! I had noticed the change for fields but not for Light woods...

Thanks.
08-04-2012, 08:02 AM,
Another strange thing : the rule for Light Woods in Kursk-south flank is returning to the old rule ! -1 col mod only if direct fire is targeted _at_ a Light Woods hex, not through...Dodgy
08-04-2012, 08:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012, 08:50 AM by vince hughes.)
P,

Just use it as through.

In a way, shooting THROUGH it is still 'AT' it as the shot runs into the hex.

What I find strange is that when the target is in it, it is in limiting terrain and can only be spotted from 3 hexes. Yet, if the target is behind it, in an open hex, but covered by the whole of the light wood hex, then, despite the +1 DF advantage, you can still see these guys from 12 hexes away.
08-04-2012, 10:17 AM,
(08-04-2012, 08:49 AM)vince hughes Wrote: What I find strange is that when the target is in it, it is in limiting terrain and can only be spotted from 3 hexes. Yet, if the target is behind it, in an open hex, but covered by the whole of the light wood hex, then, despite the +1 DF advantage, you can still see these guys from 12 hexes away.

I haven't looked at the Light Woods rules in a long time. Is this really true? That would be a glaring oversight in my opinion and should be corrected to something akin to the hedge rules (the sane ones, not the crazy version).

Huh
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM,
Quote:What I find strange is that when the target is in it, it is in limiting terrain and can only be spotted from 3 hexes. Yet, if the target is behind it, in an open hex, but covered by the whole of the light wood hex, then, despite the +1 DF advantage, you can still see these guys from 12 hexes away.

I guess I could rationalize this by saying that when you are in the terrain you can take advantage of rocks, stumps, trees, shrubs, etc. So you have to be close to see them. Units beyond the single light woods hex can be seen as they are in the "Open".
08-04-2012, 11:42 AM,
Alan.

I understand the reason and play it that way too (as you know), I just sometimes think that when an AP shot goes through it (rather than at it), it should then be subjected to a minus one modifier as the shells have to negotiate their way through quite a few trees (the whole hex), no matter how sparse.

Not so much me asking for rule changes, but rather, an observation.
08-04-2012, 11:46 AM,
(08-04-2012, 10:17 AM)Shad Wrote: I haven't looked at the Light Woods rules in a long time. Is this really true? That would be a glaring oversight in my opinion and should be corrected to something akin to the hedge rules (the sane ones, not the crazy version).

Huh

Please, no Bolshevism here fella
08-04-2012, 11:52 AM,
And Andrew,

To live up to the sobriquet of 'Maven'

Rule 8.21

"A unit occupying limiting terrain may only be spotted by........"

Limiting terrain in the rules only applies to the hexes the units are IN. This of course could have been an exception in the light woods special rules section. It was not something I considered myself until the situation arose on the table.