Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Activating units outside of an Assault to move on a IF
01-24-2018, 06:23 AM,
Activating units outside of an Assault to move on a IF
4th Ed.

This one is new to me. 

Leader inside an assault with 3 friendly units, one of which is Dem. He activates all 3 in the assault hex and 1 unit outside of it to move in IF the Dem unit fails to recover. Is this valid?

So he's looking to try and recover, if succeeds he assaults with the other 2 units, if recover fails it flees and he brings in the outside unit and assaults with 3 units. 

My first reaction is to say 'no' but I can't say for sure that is right. Whether the Dem unit recovers or not the outside unit is going to be 'Move/Fire'ed. 
01-24-2018, 06:42 AM,
RE: Activating units outside of an Assault to move on a IF
I think it's legal.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-24-2018, 07:13 AM,
It's legal.

If assaulting can wait an activation or more, you may want to use an activation to activate just the demoralized unit to recover and, if it fails (and flees), use a latter activation to activate the assault hex and bring the adjacent unit (activated by the leader) in the assault hex.
01-24-2018, 11:24 AM,
(01-24-2018, 07:13 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: It's legal.

If assaulting can wait an activation or more, you may want to use an activation to activate just the demoralized unit to recover and, if it fails (and flees), use a latter activation to activate the assault hex and bring the adjacent unit (activated by the leader) in the assault hex.

Right, that I can see. I wasn't sure about doing it all in one activation. 
01-24-2018, 12:14 PM,
(01-24-2018, 11:24 AM)richvalle Wrote: I wasn't sure about doing it all in one activation. 
That would be more of a tactical decision.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
01-25-2018, 03:18 AM,
(01-24-2018, 12:14 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 11:24 AM)richvalle Wrote: I wasn't sure about doing it all in one activation. 

Have done this as well. The only problem with doing it all in one activation is the possible recovery of the DM unit (which can't be used in the assault) and the now-activated adjacent unit being spent for a fire order that it may not be able to use unless there are other targets external to the assault.
01-25-2018, 04:49 AM,
Nonetheless, it's tempting to do it in one activation when the enemy units in the assault are not in good order and they have yet to activate this turn. I want to finish them off before they recover!
01-25-2018, 04:53 AM,
(01-25-2018, 04:49 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Nonetheless, it's tempting to do it in one activation when the enemy units in the assault are not in good order and they have yet to activate this turn. I want to finish them off before they recover!

Yep, this was the case. DanStorm won Init and tried the above tactic. 

In this case the Dem HMG DID recover and the activated Inf outside the assault had to "hurry up and wait". 
01-28-2018, 10:01 AM,
It's a funny situation where you actually hope the DEM unit doesn't recover so it will flee and you can bring in reinforcements.

Reminds me of Warriors of God. In that game you sometimes choose not to pay ransom on a captured leader. Then you hope he dies in prison so the other player doesn't get a victory point.
10-07-2018, 07:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-07-2018, 10:14 PM by saracv3.)
(01-25-2018, 03:18 AM)Schoenwulf Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 12:14 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:

Have done this as well. The only problem with doing it all in one activation is the possible recovery of the DM unit (which can't be used in the assault) and the now-activated adjacent unit being spent for a fire order that it may not be able to use unless there are other targets external to the assault.

Uh, er, the only problem is one would think they would have to activate
the outside unit by an outside leader to fire and move into the assault hex.
hex. 12.51 All 4 units are in motion at once. 2 would assault as activated by the leader inside the hex; 1 would try to recover, and 1 would try to enter. What we have is 12.11 and 12.51 overlapping. The other gray rule for me is moving closer to an enemy per 5.4. How did the outside unit move closer without an outside leader?

Especially the 1st sentence of 12.51. "Only leaders in the assault hex may influence units there"; but one does have to read down to see the ambiguous "Leaders in the assault hex may direct units in adjacent hexes to enter the assault hex, but may not influence them in any other way if they don't enter the assault hex."