Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Activating units outside of an Assault to move on a IF
10-08-2018, 01:29 AM,
RE: Activating units outside of an Assault to move on a IF
Especially the 1st sentence of 12.51. "Only leaders in the assault hex may influence units there"; but one does have to read down to see the ambiguous "Leaders in the assault hex may direct units in adjacent hexes to enter the assault hex, but may not influence them in any other way if they don't enter the assault hex."
____________________________________________________________________________________________

That's the way that I've played it, activating the stack and having the leader mobilize the external unit. Doing one unit at a time, first the DM unit that flees, then the adjacent unit enters and becomes a member of the assault pack. I agree with others that this is one of the few times that recovery is not wanted!
10-08-2018, 06:17 AM,
(10-07-2018, 07:22 PM)saracv3 Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 03:18 AM)Schoenwulf Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 12:14 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 11:24 AM)richvalle Wrote: I wasn't sure about doing it all in one activation. 
That would be more of a tactical decision.

Have done this as well. The only problem with doing it all in one activation is the possible recovery of the DM unit (which can't be used in the assault) and the now-activated adjacent unit being spent for a fire order that it may not be able to use unless there are other targets external to the assault.

Uh, er, the only problem is one would think they would have to activate
the outside unit by an outside leader to fire and move into the assault hex.
hex. 12.51 All 4 units are in motion at once. 2 would assault as activated by the leader inside the hex; 1 would try to recover, and 1 would try to enter. What we have is 12.11 and 12.51 overlapping. The other gray rule for me is moving closer to an enemy per 5.4. How did the outside unit move closer without an outside leader?

Especially the 1st sentence of 12.51. "Only leaders in the assault hex may influence units there"; but one does have to read down to see the ambiguous "Leaders in the assault hex may direct units in adjacent hexes to enter the assault hex, but may not influence them in any other way if they don't enter the assault hex."

I have to accede the point. I see reading 12.51again how Rich's sitrep would work but upon waking this morning Im actually hung up on 3.13: Making the decision to move fire or recover in the same activation. But one has to recover that DM unit. Only then does the outside unit declare it's intention to fire and move into the Assault hex?
I also keep thinking that when a leader makes one activation per turn, that's it, no more activations for him. As Rich originally thought, this appears to be a two activation sitrep.
10-08-2018, 07:41 AM,
I figure that the good-order officer in the assault activates his hex and the unit in the adjacent hex (12.51). The good order units in the assault hex are activated to "fire", as is the one in the adjacent hex (3.13). The DM unit in the assault hex is activated to "move" for the recovery attempt (3.13). Then, the DM units act first; if he recovers (with a "move" order, he's done for the turn), the assault will take place using the other two units in the assault hex (option A); iif he doesn't, he moves to an adjacent hex in DM condition (Option B). In the case of Option A, the adjacent unit stays put, takes no action, and is marked "spent" since Rule 12.51states that it is not influenced "in any other way if they don't enter the assault hex". With Option B, the adjacent unit enters the fray and joins in the assault attack. I think that all follows the rules, as they indicate that units are moved "one at a time" (Opening ppg. of Rule 5) and describe assault as "moving into the assault hex" even though the order is done as a "fire" order (3.13).
10-09-2018, 01:50 AM,
Good explanation Schoenwulf!