Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tactics - How to use APC's
08-04-2012, 06:55 AM,
RE: Tactics - How to use APC's
Good advice on the tactical use of APC's. I also use them as Recon units in scenario's where an attacking force has to break thru prepared defenses and losses are to be expected I drive then thru minefields and use them to scout out hidden ATG's.

However Vince states APC's can dig in. Well that's how we play it on our FtF mainly because its too minor a point to argue over but IMHO they should not be allowed to dig in during a game.

I have dug in a Saracen APC when I was in the RAF and it took more than half an hour. In fact it took the best part of a day and that was with some help from a passing field engineer bulldozer.
In prepared defenses APC's and Transports would be dug in so in that sort of scenario
they could begin the game dug in.
That's how I play in my solo games but would go with the majority on this one.
08-04-2012, 07:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012, 07:24 AM by plloyd1010.)
Yeah Wayne, that's another ballgame. I'll start a thread on that.
08-04-2012, 08:39 AM,
Wayne,

Even 'digging-in' a bloody landrover was a lot of bleedin' toil. Got right on my wick ! Especially if we had to move out the same day too" !

To be honest, I think most digging in in most 'tactical games' can be a little optimistic.
08-05-2012, 02:05 AM,
(08-04-2012, 08:39 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Wayne,

Even 'digging-in' a bloody landrover was a lot of bleedin' toil. Got right on my wick ! Especially if we had to move out the same day too" !

To be honest, I think most digging in in most 'tactical games' can be a little optimistic.

Vince , Do you think that "digging in" in PG terms means to portray units making the best use of any slight terrain cover there may be and quick shell scrapes rather than any real spade work
08-05-2012, 02:58 AM,
(08-05-2012, 02:05 AM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(08-04-2012, 08:39 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Wayne,

Vince , Do you think that "digging in" in PG terms means to portray units making the best use of any slight terrain cover there may be and quick shell scrapes rather than any real spade work

One can do a hasty fighting postion in a PG game turn, but it will take several turns to dig an armpit deep two man fighting postion, clear fields of fire and so on.