Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firing on Fleeing Units
07-22-2019, 09:31 AM,
Firing on Fleeing Units
It surprised us that there is nothing that says "Thou shalt not"....

So---Can you?  Can you exercise Opportunity Fire on a unit which failed his Demoralized Recovery
  and is forced to flee out of range?

Shooting and killing tanks, one wants as many shots as you can....and so firing at a tank as it has to "run away" is
  a shot one would like to take....

But----I'm not sure we can or cannot.

We could not find anything that said you could or could not....just ...didn't come up in any relevant sections...

Is there something obvious ???
(Germans mowing down my hapless russians....I mean, it's in character and everything....)
cjWink
07-24-2019, 12:34 AM,
RE: Firing on Fleeing Units
Yes, you can.

Fleeing is moving and uses Movement Points.

I can see the confusion because the retreat concept in many games is retreat X hexes regardless of the movement costs.
07-24-2019, 03:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2019, 03:38 AM by plloyd1010.)
(07-22-2019, 09:31 AM)cjsiam Wrote: So---Can you?  Can you exercise Opportunity Fire on a unit which failed his Demoralized Recovery
  and is forced to flee out of range?

Yes you can. The rule says:

Quote:A moving unit (and any leader moving with it) or leader moving without an accompanying unit may be attacked in any hex(es) within enemy range that it enters along its movement path. This includes fleeing units.

I don't, mostly because I don't like tying up units which can do something more useful. If you wish to give me special credit, I'll claim military convention and moral abhorrence.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-24-2019, 03:57 AM,
(07-24-2019, 03:34 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Special Credit applied......

Paragon of Virtue, that thou art....
09-23-2019, 09:00 AM,
I've always played that you may opp-fire on fleeing units. It actually doesn't come up much, though. I'm usually saving opp fire for units can still hurt me.
09-24-2019, 03:54 AM,
Firing on fleeing unit is something I do when the position has stabilized, especially when step losses count as Victory Points.
09-25-2019, 09:47 AM,
Kind of a niche thing for the Heer 75mm IG (amongst others): try to get the fleeing unit before before it reaches LT.
dxdavieau likes this post