Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compass Games' Red Poppies Campaigns: Vol 2 - Last Laurels at Limanowa
05-23-2018, 10:02 AM,
Compass Games' Red Poppies Campaigns: Vol 2 - Last Laurels at Limanowa
I played this at a wargaming club meeting a couple of weeks ago. It is similar in scale and subject matter to the Infantry Attack series. The game does not have the detailed command activation system of I. A., but it has a system that is similar to Avalanche Press' Fog of War rules in Panzer Grenadier. Last Laurels graphics are not as pretty as I. A. - August 1914 (NATO symbols instead of picture for units, map using late '70's presentation for elevation, etc.). Last Laurels does not have the scenario variety of the Panzer Grenadier family.

On the positive side for Last Laurels, the game system is more simple than Infantry Attacks. We were able to play 4 games during our session, one of the games was with a guy not comfortable with modern tactical level games (as a side note, this other guy did show an interest in Last Laurels). We were fortunate in having the game's designer to consult for rules questions.

Has any of the other members of PG - HQ have any experience with this game or the first volume in Red Poppies series.
05-24-2018, 12:32 AM,
RE: Compass Games' Red Poppies Campaigns: Vol 2 - Last Laurels at Limanowa
I have the 1st one, although I haven't played it and it's on my "too many games"" pile. Yet I keep hearing good things about the system (and negative about some of the graphics) and am wavering on that call.