Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Afrika Korp - #21 Tanks!
11-27-2017, 09:22 AM,
RE: Afrika Korp - #21 Tanks!
Bedford County, Virginia. Were there are more trees and cows than people. Nearest gamer to me is 100 miles away. Trying to get some Vassal play going but I only have satellite uplink so Skype does not seem to want to work. Nearest movie theater is 25 miles away. Were I moved from, Winston Salem, North Carolina, there were 15 within that distance.

If you like quite, very dark nights, seeing wild turkey and deer around your house it's great. If you grew up in the suburbs with street lights and all that it's not so great. I find it highly unlikely I'm going to find a gamer within reasonable distance of my house.
11-27-2017, 11:57 PM,
(11-27-2017, 09:22 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: Bedford County, Virginia. Were there are more trees and cows than people. Nearest gamer to me is 100 miles away. Trying to get some Vassal play going but I only have satellite uplink so Skype does not seem to want to work. Nearest movie theater is 25 miles away. Were I moved from, Winston Salem, North Carolina, there were 15 within that distance.

If you like quite, very dark nights, seeing wild turkey and deer around your house it's great. If you grew up in the suburbs with street lights and all that it's not so great. I find it highly unlikely I'm going to find a gamer within reasonable distance of my house.

Playing by phone is an option too. Rich and I played halfway in to a game using skype audio and it worked pretty good. Rich had a deep knowledge of the game and is a good opponent. Where there is a will, there is a way.
11-28-2017, 12:17 AM,
(11-27-2017, 09:22 AM)zaarin7 Wrote: Bedford County, Virginia. Were there are more trees and cows than people. Nearest gamer to me is 100 miles away. Trying to get some Vassal play going but I only have satellite uplink so Skype does not seem to want to work. Nearest movie theater is 25 miles away. Were I moved from, Winston Salem, North Carolina, there were 15 within that distance.

Dang, that's rough. 

Sounds like Skype is too latency sensitive. Maybe try Teamspeak or... Discord is one my kids have been using. 

As retiredgrunt says a phone call could be an option as long as you don't get charged by the min and you'd probably need to have the phone hooked up to power. In this case you could do dual boards or Skype. 
11-29-2017, 04:55 AM,
I've played talking over my cell. No charges by minute. Thing is gaming has to be on Vassal as I have no place to set up games. I brought my 6'X4' table with me but it is setting outside because no room in this slightly smaller double wide.
11-29-2017, 05:32 AM,
I started playing PG and VPG games on a 34" x 34" folding table installed in a corner of our bedroom. It was big enough to play two map scenarios on Skype and big enough to play 22" x 34" 4-map scenarios very comfortably if I placed two 20" x 30" foam boards taped together on top of the table. The table and the foam boards cost less than $50.

I later moved my gaming stuff into one of the children's rooms once the oldest left home and added a second folding table to play larger scenarios and other games with two maps. I will receive two more as my Christmas present next month and finally be able to play a few monster games.
11-29-2017, 05:47 AM,
(11-29-2017, 05:32 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I started playing PG and VPG games on a 34" x 34" folding table installed in a corner of our bedroom. It was big enough to play two map scenarios on Skype and big enough to play 22" x 34" 4-map scenarios very comfortably if I placed two 20" x 30" foam boards taped together on top of the table. The table and the foam boards cost less than $50.

I later moved my gaming stuff into one of the children's rooms  once the oldest left home and added a second folding table to play larger scenarios and other games with two maps. I will receive two more as my Christmas present next month and finally be able to play a few monster games.

Heh. Right now my gaming table is in the basement... an old dinning room table. Big enough for 4 map games but it might be hard to put the full Cassino map on there. 

I've threatened to take over the kid's rooms when they move out and knock down some walls to make an awesome gaming space.   Smile