Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skill vs Numbers
12-02-2017, 09:41 AM,
RE: Skill vs Numbers
I get a sense of satisfaction knowing I'm playing the game while you guys are spending your time clipping. Big Grin
12-02-2017, 01:12 PM,
(12-02-2017, 09:41 AM)J6A Wrote: I get a sense of satisfaction knowing I'm playing the game while you guys are spending your time clipping. Big Grin

I’m retired, so I have plenty of time to do both
12-07-2017, 01:57 AM,
End of turn 3/Start of turn 4.

Much of the activity has still been Forward Observer driven. 

The Hill. In an attempt to drive off the German leader calling in fire onto my Morts I pushed a platoon of Shermans over to the woods and opened fire with the other 2 platoons. It was a calculated risk as he could then AT fire with the Marder II's but he would need 10+ to hit. My Sherman fire and the subsequent HMG fire failed to have any effect on the leader. I followed up with some OBA and it was able to get him to a Dem state and forced him to retreat. 

Sadly, for the US, the Marder's did open fire and rolled a 10.  Sad   The remaining half platoon were equally shocked and went Dem. There was not much else done here as FOW was rolled in AS 11. The troops at the top in the woods moved into position to await the assault. 

I have that group of units moving across the board in the middle. I knew he would be able to spot them with his 'SS' (they are some sort of police force) on the hill if he moved his leader out and to the edge of the hill. I could have moved my units sideways to avoid it (max LOS is 10) but it would slow me down, be a pain and I have units near the castle so I thought it unlikely that he would do so. 

Well... he did. So now in order to stop art fire on the moving units I had to assault the Castle before I was ready. I managed to move everyone up and OP fire was ineffective. I was able able to capture the SS leader.  With the extra troops he has coming to this area I think this is going to be a bloody fight. 

In order to shore up his flank he moved some unmounted troops and APC's down to the Lt Woods. However he moved them to just within range of my HMG's and Inf being able to 'ambush' him if I won Init next AS. Taking a chance I moved both 3 stacks next to him. 
12-09-2017, 03:21 AM,
So, turns out the US had bad intel and are attacking the wrong spot. Where I THOUGHT the castle is there was just a platoon of SS police. The actual castle is 2 hexes over where he has 2 platoons of Gren and some '2' (I think) leader. I'm also using the wrong SS units and it should be a 4-3 and not a 7-3.

I find this vastly amusing and probably not very unhistorical at all. I've moved the Ent to where it should be and the US will carry on.
12-09-2017, 05:19 AM,
You finally encountered Howl's Moving Castle. All that remains is to remove the witch's spell.
01-08-2018, 07:32 AM,
(12-09-2017, 05:19 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: You finally encountered Howl's Moving Castle. All that remains is to remove the witch's spell.

I guess it's fitting these are Japanese Americans.  Smile 
01-08-2018, 07:55 AM,
End of turn 4/start of turn 5.

Not much happened on The Hill. The Stug reinforcements moved into the town. The morts got ready to move to try and avoid the incoming Inf moving across the board from below. 

The incoming Inf in a formation I call "The Blob". Also the M4 that harassed the forward observing leader moved up to harass the now leaderless dug in inf. 

Where all the action was this AS.

At the very top you can see the stack of Inf that assaulted where I thought the Castle was. After bravely taking the top of the hill and looking around for where to plant the flag they were pounded by every gun/OBA/Mort that could reach them.  2 series of bad rolls (3 10's in a row and 3 11's in a row!) result in everyone being demoralized at the missed photo opportunity. 

The 2nd APC ambush went much better. The HGM's DF'ed and the Inf assaulted resulting in an X and both APC's taking a hit. 

And at this point we called the game. Besides having a lot more steps on the board I've inflicted about 15 steps worth of damage vs his 4. I think the fight for the big town would be interesting but it seems pretty clear the US were going to roll on this one.

Funny... the next battle we picked from Winter Solders I'm on the other side. Number 29, with the ice and snow I have 18 turns to get 20 steps off the map and the Inf can only move 1 hex a turn across a 17 hex map. Ummm... no?