Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just learning
10-20-2017, 01:42 PM,
Just learning
I am new to the game and just learning. I plan on purchasing Elsenborn Ridge. Is that a good version of the game to start with?
10-20-2017, 03:29 PM,
RE: Just learning
I think Elsenborn is a great starting point. It has a nice mix of small and large scenarios and a cool variety of unit types.
10-20-2017, 09:09 PM,
I second the motion for Elsenborn. It has been the defacto starter ever since it came out. It has been a better intro game than those that were intended as such. Since you will be making an order anyway, consider picking up the free play set too. It shouldn't add too much to the shipping cost.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-20-2017, 10:34 PM,
Great choice!

Have you any other hex and counter wargame experience?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-21-2017, 12:40 AM,
Is Elsenborn Ridge playable by PBEM on Vassal. I don’t see PG games listed in the modules on Vassal.
10-21-2017, 12:53 AM,
There was an official Elsenborn Ridge Vassal mod made though I heard it had been lost on AP's webpage after some sort of upgrade and they were intending on putting it back. Looks like it's still not there yet.
10-21-2017, 04:40 AM,
(10-21-2017, 12:40 AM)Rogerp Wrote: Is Elsenborn Ridge playable by PBEM on Vassal. I don’t see PG games listed in the modules on Vassal.

Avalanche Press only ever allows for modules to be posted in their own webstore, that way they can capture your contact info when you request the download.

I'm sure one of our friendly members here will contact you via PM to get you a copy of that module via email. Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-21-2017, 04:52 AM,
Shh. He should contact me, and it would only be a link. (Now, back to the secret stuff.) Dodgy
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
10-29-2017, 09:36 AM,
Game just arrived and will be plodding through the rules.
Will be looking for a PBEM Vassal opponent in about a week or so!
10-29-2017, 09:46 AM,
You will find that, due to the interactive nature of the turns, PBEM games go really slow. You may want to take advantage of the real time gaming allowed in Vassal. Either way, good luck.