Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
07-25-2013, 06:56 AM,
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
Hello all, my name is Brett Nicholson, 44 years old; originally from Washington D.C., now currently living in Düsseldorf, Germany. I first got into like gaming at an early age when living in Annapolis, Maryland and I remember my first Avalon Hill game which was 'Luftwaffe'. Then I would discover 'Panzer Leader' along with the WWI set entitled 'The Guns of August'. I grew up around a both Army and Navy families and had in early interest in military history and of course gaming.

I first found Panzer Grenadier at a game shop in about 2003-2004 in the form of 'Battle of the Bulge' and my interest in boardgaming was rekindled. At that time with work and college I didn't find much time to play it, let alone anyone with a similar interest or even more so, patience, to play other than solitaire. That was fine because it is well suited for solo play. Alas, over the years, through moving, I had to let go of my copy of 'Battle of the Bulge' and maybe got through 40 of the 50 scenarios over a very long stretch of time.

Then, about a year back, before moving to Germany, I found time to devote to PG again and started all over with 'Afrika Korps' but again found little time and most of all SPACE to devote much time to it then but went ahead and bought 'Desert Rats' and 'South Africa's War' at least for collection and novelties sake.

Now having made the move overseas I made room enough in my suitcases for my games! I am also very lucky to have a great girlfriend who doesn't mind me using her dining room table for my extensive game play but alas there is only enough room for the one map Desert war scenarios. So over the last few months I was able to finish 40 of 50 'Afrika Korps' and saved all my notes for future reference should I revisit the set again. Then I discovered this site which has made record keeping a lot more fun and it is great to read other's AARs especially before I start another game. Currently I am about halfway through 'Desert Rats' and unfortunately only have the space to play 31 of 50 it, and 9 of 20 from 'South Africa's War'. So I have been posting about a play at least every other day to catch up to where I am at now which is a very decent scenario from DR: #18 - 'A Pibroch's Skirl' which has an interesting rule for the Black Watch's bagpipes! Well, have about 12 more grueling yet entertaining turns of that left and feel that when it is finished sometime tomorrow to give a brief but detailed description of how that turns out. At the moment it doesn't look so well for the British but may be able to at least pull a draw from it by play's end. Speaking of draws, 'Desert Rats' doesn't allow for to many of those unlike 'Afrika Korps' which ended in many stalemates but I am enjoying DR much more.

Anyway, I guess that's enough for now other than I chose nebelwurfer9 for my user name just because it seemed relevant and perhaps humorous. I hope by year's end to get 'Eastern Front' and a supplement shipped over here for my next session(s). Best of it to everyone and this site!

Messages In This Thread
So I'll jump off the bridge too. - by plloyd1010 - 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread! - by nebelwurfer9 - 07-25-2013, 06:56 AM