Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
10-21-2012, 12:22 AM,
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
Hello, board!

My name is Dean Petters. I'm approaching my 48th birthday and have just passed my 17th anniversary. Two kids: our son just started high school and our daughter is in 5th grade.

I'm a 5th generation Floridian, now transplanted to North-East Ohio. Growing up, my family was very military oriented. My dad served in the national guard for over 3 decades and instilled in his six kids a deep respect for the military. All six of us are commissioned officers, although only my lone sister is currently serving. I am an aerospace propulsion engineer by trade, starting my career in the USAF and for the last 13 years at NASA.

My current interest started with the old computer game Panzer General (or as SWMBO deemed it, panzyass general). It is still one of my favorites and I revisit it often. I have been "into" hex-n-counter wargames only a very short time (5 years or so), but dabbled in them as far back as the 70s (my brother had Ogre, Star Fleet battles and a couple others). The first game I bought was Airborne-IE, mainly because the rules were simple to grasp and the game lent itself to solo play.

My other interests include amateur astronomy (own two telescopes), model railroading and often read history (focusing mainly on the ACW and WWII). All these activities, however, take a back seat to our kids... watching and helping them grow has been the most enjoyable past-time I've experienced!
03-30-2013, 07:45 PM,
Hi

I'm Peter and I started gaming in the late '70's with Airfix soldiers and rules by a UK chap called Terence Wise.
Quickly got hooked on boardgames when I bought an early issue of the Wargamer mag with Eylau as it's game.

I played ASL when it first came but it didn't appeal to me too much as I wanted a game at the higher command level. So I bought the original PG when it came out and played it for a year or two.

Been too busy with life's interruptions to play in recent years but kids and wife are older now (I'm 51) and I suddenly appear to have some time again.

So this Easter I turned down the eggs and bought several PG games instead.

I also play pretty much anything from Ancients to end of WW2. 95% of my gaming is solo.

Live near Gatwick airport in Surrey UK and to pay for my gaming addiction I work as a billing analyst for a global USA company which supplies mainly the aviation industry.
03-30-2013, 07:59 PM,
(03-30-2013, 07:45 PM)petergarnett Wrote: Hi

I'm Peter and I started gaming in the late '70's with Airfix soldiers and rules by a UK chap called Terence Wise.
Quickly got hooked on boardgames when I bought an early issue of the Wargamer mag with Eylau as it's game.

I played ASL when it first came but it didn't appeal to me too much as I wanted a game at the higher command level. So I bought the original PG when it came out and played it for a year or two.

Been too busy with life's interruptions to play in recent years but kids and wife are older now (I'm 51) and I suddenly appear to have some time again.

I also play pretty much anything from Ancients to end of WW2. 95% of my gaming is solo.

Live near Gatwick airport in Surrey UK and to pay for my gaming addiction I work as a billing analyst for a global USA company which supplies mainly the aviation industry.

Peter,

I see you said that most of your gaming is solo, but as a heads up, there are two of us that live nearby and do face to face PG. One is in Lingfield, Surrey (Wayne) and the other in Higham Kent (me). We both work in South-East London too (Lambeth and Vauxhall).

If you ever fancy getting together, even just to lay some of the 3rd edition system out. Let either of us know.
03-31-2013, 05:16 AM,
(03-30-2013, 07:45 PM)petergarnett Wrote: Hi

I see Vince beat me to it, but like you I live close to Gatwick if you fancy a game/wargame chat feel free to contact me. I too started wargaming with Terry Wise's introduction to wargaming book. Though nowadays its only board games now.
04-10-2013, 10:07 AM,
Hello, I'm Doug McNair, and I was the developer (and occasional designer) for the Panzer Grenadier and Infantry Attacks series from 2005 to 2010. Before that, I playtested the original PG game back in the late '90s.

I'm 48 years old; was born in New York City; went to college in Northfield, Minnesota; met my wife there; spent a few years in Chicago while she was getting her M.A. in European history at Northwestern; and then moved back north to Minneapolis, where we've been living ever since.

Over the years, I've been an office clerk, an insurance underwriter, a Series 7-licensed investment advisor, a game developer, and now co-owner (with my wife) of a freelance editing business. She started the business ten years ago and pretty much kept us afloat while I was working for Avalanche Press for very little pay. After five years of having lots of fun working for AP but not doing much to hold up my end of our income needs, I joined the family business in 2010 and have been editing full time ever since. Recently, I also started writing children's mysteries for one of our publisher clients, so I hope to have some stories in print before too long.

I got into gaming in the early '70s, and my first game was SPI's "Foxbat and Phantom." Avalon Hill's "Kingmaker" and "Richtofen's War" came shortly thereafter, followed by "Midway," "Bismarck," and "Panzerblitz." The latter two games were my favorites, and that's what made me a natural for playtesting and developing the GWAS, SWWAS and PG series for Avalanche. I never got into ASL or other highly detailed systems; I wanted wargames that were high on playability while still retaining an acceptable level of realism.

Paula and I have been married for 25 years, with numerous dogs and cats. I've never managed to get her into PG, but she loves card-driven wargames and has beaten me more than once at "Paths of Glory."

04-12-2013, 11:13 AM,
Doug, Glad you are doing better. You look good if that is a recent picture. Look forward to some games in the future.
04-12-2013, 12:23 PM,
(04-12-2013, 11:13 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Doug, Glad you are doing better. You look good if that is a recent picture. Look forward to some games in the future.

Thanks! Yes, it's recent -- the one good thing that came out of being sick all winter is the fact that I lost 50 pounds. Thus, all the weight I gained from being a professional gamer for five years is history.
05-08-2013, 08:36 AM,
Hello, I am Duane. I just joined up on the site.

Some back ground: I currently work constructing databases in simulations (computer war game) for the US Army Reserves in SE USA. I work in Birmingham AL. I am an old treadhead in the Army from 1978-1982 Active, 1982-1991 in the Reserves, most of the time in Germany (1979-1996). I have trained and manned the M60A1 and M60A3 tanks, the M113 APC and the M106 4.2" mortar carrier - that was in a cavalry platoon and troop when I went in as a Cavalry officer. I have been playing war games since 1967 when my mother got me a Jutland game for Christmas, corrupted ever since.

I have played PG for about almost six years when Dr. Mike began his move of the warehouse from Virginia to Alabama. I have helped out Mike in unloading trucks, putting shelves up and assembling games many times. That is how I have so many PG games as payment was in games.

I have helped out John Stafford in playtesting the Modern Grenadier system that will coming out soon. I do play with a group of four/five guys who helped out with the play test. We do like playing PG, and our ex-Marine is looking to playing Saipan.

Glad to be here and looking forward to reading what everyone says.

VR
Duane Parsons - a.k.a. Treadhead12
05-15-2013, 04:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013, 05:00 AM by Joe Schafer.)
Ok, this seems like a good idea. I'm Joe (chaserussett is an old d&d name that I just never let go of), and I live and work in Florida. I'm in my 40's and am really enjoying this site!

My entrance into PG is, while not unique I'd guess, is interesting nonetheless. My very good friend (best?) who is not only a history teacher, but a long-time grognard, found out I love games but never play them, and bought me Patton's Best. I am a little shy about meeting new people and solo games are great for me, but then he lent me the original box of Airborne to cut my teeth on a "chit" wargame. He has or has had about every system except Case Blue and for the last number of years, prefers Tobruck, Downtown, and Avalanche's sea stuff. He had however purchased and still enjoyed many PG games, and when he found out I loved Airborne (o yes, I love Airborne) either gave me or bought me over a few years as CHristmas/birthday gifts, almost all of my current PG collection of about 12 games. It is and has been the only system I use and has become almost a comfort food to me, along with Fields of Fire. I almost only play PG solo, but when I get to play with a partner I have really loved it, although I almost always lose. The challenge for me is that it's difficult to outthink myself, and therefore I never have to outthink the other player. If I find the right person or persons, I would always be interested in playing through skype, but I'd need someone patient and willing to tolerate a newby and sometimes thick-headed person. That's why I enjoy solo so much: I never have to worry about any of that.

AAR's take time to write, and while I feel the importance of them, I'd rather play than type it up...Also, I sometimes don't finish the scenario, as I sometimes stop when I KNOW it's over...

My favorite map of what I actually have are the bulge ones, but I need to get Saipan very, very soon... EDIT--OK actually the winter maps are the best I have...
06-19-2013, 10:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM by vince hughes.)
Managed to meet up with one of my American Skype opponents last night here in London in a pub under Waterloo Station. Wayne Baumber, my regular ftf bud was also in attendance as he also plays against him on Skype.

It was FBI meets Metropolitan Police (on the job front) and I therefore took the opportunity to sink a good few pints (7 Kronenbourgs) to show the 'Mets' appreciation.

Joseph (captwoosey on PGHQ) was great company and I can only hope he has to visit here again in the future !! That now makes 3 American PG'ers (captwoosey, Joe Oppenheimer & Udet), 1 Italian (Otto) and 3 English that I've met in person and its something I certainly enjoy doing.

Next meeting is in September for 3 days as 'The Shad Man' comes to stay at my place. Get your drinking goggles on Andrew !