Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
08-15-2013, 05:08 AM,
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
(08-15-2013, 04:43 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Brett,

Its nice you add old plays. Seeing as there are 597 'members', I'm surprrised there hasn't been 1000's added in the same such way.

Well, just trying to brush up. I almost finished 'Battle of the Bulge' back in 2010, maybe 40 of 50 of those but have long since lost those records and unforunately possession of that game but perhaps a decade or so from now will purchase it again but for now it's the Desert War and with what I have right now. Still trying to decide if I am going to go with 'Eastern Front' or 'Fall of France' next. EF seems to be the most practical all around for future expansions and that there are 112 scenarios, all of which may actually fit on the small dining room table, I may not only be able to finish a boxed set but busy with that for perhaps a year. However, FoF reaally holds my interest as well being an earier war game with some curious French armored units. But for the time being it's the Desert War and enough of that, at the moment, to last at least two months. I noticed you posted your German casualty lists a few days ago but I'm willing to wager my Italian casualty list is much higher, especially if you count the ones that surrendered so far...lol... however I do like playing with Italy as when they do manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat it's quite rewarding. 'The King's Officers', being a little more A-historical, gives them a little more chance to shine, especially without the surrender rule in play.
08-15-2013, 10:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 10:59 AM by Shad.)
(08-15-2013, 02:06 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I also hope that it is not a problem if I log in past scenarios played with both 'Afrika Korps' and 'Desert Rats' inbetween current, ongoing scenarios to catch up to where I am now. I am not trying to soar through the ranks or prove anything, just enjoy my PG plays and I could post-date entries if it is a problem. I only know that it took over two months to play 40 of 50 scenarios from 'Afrika korps' but I did not record the actual date but everything else in notes as far as victories, draws and casualties and the play is still fresh in my mind to be able to rate them all.

By all means please record every play for which you have records! Date of play is really only important for personal reference. You can fudge them. The outcome and your rating are the key data!

Ranks should be viewed as a thank you for helping to improve PG-HQ more than anything else! There are real world time costs associated with adding all of that data, and we're all volunteers. It's not a pissing contest (that's what shared plays are for Wink ).
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-15-2013, 07:13 PM,
(08-15-2013, 10:58 AM)Shad Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 02:06 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I also hope that it is not a problem if I log in past scenarios played with both 'Afrika Korps' and 'Desert Rats' inbetween current, ongoing scenarios to catch up to where I am now. I am not trying to soar through the ranks or prove anything, just enjoy my PG plays and I could post-date entries if it is a problem. I only know that it took over two months to play 40 of 50 scenarios from 'Afrika korps' but I did not record the actual date but everything else in notes as far as victories, draws and casualties and the play is still fresh in my mind to be able to rate them all.

By all means please record every play for which you have records! Date of play is really only important for personal reference. You can fudge them. The outcome and your rating are the key data!

Ranks should be viewed as a thank you for helping to improve PG-HQ more than anything else! There are real world time costs associated with adding all of that data, and we're all volunteers. It's not a pissing contest (that's what shared plays are for Wink ).

Well okay then, that's a little more reassuring. I perhaps may have come into my own with 'The King's Officers' as there are at least 5 of those scenarios left unplayed and only the Operation Epsom one requires more than one map or components that I don't have. I was really surprised that there is still yet another one-map scenario from 'Desert Rats' that hasn't had a recorded play either. Then there are even more without AARs so I do have a bit of uncharted area left to cover as a cardboard war journalist. So thanks to you both Shad and Vince as I am new here and wanted some input. I am up early with last night's results of El Ageila and after a coffee will follow up with an AAR of that play and continue to keep logging those old plays in but piecemeal as I like to watch my personal stats change daily. I'm amazed that I've played enough with the Rolls Royce armored car for it to make the top 20 list of units, the closest I'll ever get to owning one Wink
08-15-2013, 07:33 PM,
(08-15-2013, 07:13 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I'm amazed that I've played enough with the Rolls Royce armored car for it to make the top 20 list of units, the closest I'll ever get to owning one Wink

Forget the Rolls-Royce Brett !

Invest in your own table and laptop and get yourself some opponent gaming in Wink
08-15-2013, 09:18 PM,
(08-15-2013, 07:33 PM)vince hughes Wrote:
(08-15-2013, 07:13 PM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: I'm amazed that I've played enough with the Rolls Royce armored car for it to make the top 20 list of units, the closest I'll ever get to owning one Wink

Forget the Rolls-Royce Brett !

Invest in your own table and laptop and get yourself some opponent gaming in Wink

Well, the flats here in Düsseldorf are quite small and am lucky to have the space for one 'Afrika Korps' or 'Desert Rats' map. If I tried to play one of the AK ones requiring three maps it would cover about half the living room! As far as the laptop goes mine took a dive off the sofa and remains inactive for quite a while. I would love to get a shared play in and could but I think with the audio of SKYPE and no mobile or wireless webcam it would break my girlfriends nerves but perhaps a very short scenario is possible, likely an AK one like 'First Shot AIF', 'Post R59' or 'Pursuit of 2nd Armored' is possible or a longer one done in many sessions, preferably one I haven't played yet from either 'Desert Rats' or 'South Africa's War'. I will talk it over with my girlfriend maybe this weekend. Now that she is back to work I would have weekday days available as long as I keep the flat in order in her absence. As far as the Rolls Royces go they are absolute shite apart from mowing down fleeing, demoralized ground units but was amused they made the list. Definitely stay in touch concerning the shared play and should have an idea about what can be done by next week Vince and thanks! I am in Germany of course so there may also be a slight time zone difference but I am definitely up for a match in due time! Smile
08-15-2013, 09:56 PM,
Don't need a webcam, we do all ours by voice. Anyway, as my opponents all look like Uruk-Hai from the LotR, its best there is no webcam. Headsets are about £2.99 here in the UK. The Germans will have their own cheap versions. I was in Dusseldorf when I was in the British Army around 1983 BTW.

I always find with my wife something like "I am gonna play Alan on Skype on Sunday about 9pm OK" generally suffices. My Mrs is a good good woman and sees wargames as perfectly harmless. Gotta be better behaved than having 5 litres of weissbier down at Dusseldorf Altstadt !! LOL (mind you I might down 5 ltrs of weissbier whilst playing heh heh).

Deutschland is just an hour ahead of us. I go to Germany a lot, so if I get up that way or near, I shall let you know. P'raps we can set-up in a quiet bar somewhere (and keep the Innkeeper happy by drinking 5 ltrs each whilst playing)
08-15-2013, 09:58 PM,
Brett,

BTW, if you check out my "Introduce Yourself" post. Every pic has one of me with a bier in hand ....... curiously ????
08-15-2013, 10:16 PM,
(08-15-2013, 09:58 PM)vince hughes Wrote: Brett,

BTW, if you check out my "Introduce Yourself" post. Every pic has one of me with a bier in hand ....... curiously ????

I noticed the pics with beer early on ...lol... well, my mrs. is a German but no nazi so I think she will compromise with me on this. And I very much like the idea of possibly meeting up at a laid-back inn somewhere here in Düsseldorf sometime in the future. By the way, altbier is the specialty here and I am very fond of Diebels! Also, she wouldn't mind so much maybe if we even had a short gaming round here at the flat with fair warning and limited drinking. I think her main concern is that I am not spending too much time online though she would rather catch me here than at other sites Wink ...lol... I don't know if you've looked into 'The King's Officers' yet but there is a nice random desert war campaign/scenario generator where you also get to hand pick your forces before play starts as well. I am casually toying around with my first one and you have the opportunity to purchase units that haven't made many appearances or even used at all -this is good for the Italains at least as you don't have to be burdened with unwanted L3/35 tankettes unless you want a good laugh. So, at least if we get a chance of play online there is only a one hour time difference between us, either way, looking forward to a session or two hopefully soon enough.
01-04-2014, 06:34 AM,
Another new guy signing on. I got the urge to do a lot of Guadalcanal gaming recently in air, land and sea battles, gearing up for a minis convention coming in March and somebody pointed out the PG Guadalcanal game. I put that and the Jungle Warfare module on my Christmas list and got them both, which forced (Smile) me to get Battle of the Bulge with some Christmas cash in order to fill out the Army troops for Jungle Warfare. Been gaming in board games and minis since '72, using some of both as training aids during my Army career. Hoping to find gamers in the Dayton area to dig into these games. Also, since Dayton is the home of the Air Force Museum, if anyone wants to plan a visit and game day, I'll be happy to host both with a little notice. I've hosted museum visits and minis game days so far, so could host something for multiple players and games at my workplace if anyone would want to make the trip. I've been busy on Boardgame Geek reading up on these games so recognize quite a few group names from there.
01-05-2014, 01:59 AM,
Welcome, Thomas! I used to live in Dayton and work at WPAFP (now in Cleveland). The museum there is definitely first rate!