Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
07-22-2013, 12:53 AM,
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
(07-21-2013, 05:41 AM)Clupper21 Wrote: BTW, is Elsenborn Ridge OOP?

I have a friend also desperate to get hold of Elsenborn Ridge. It needs reprinting. Time i popped to the AP CSW site and forwarded these comments.
07-22-2013, 01:45 AM,
You may want to add that Elsenborn Ridge is the game most often recommended as the entry point into PG.
07-25-2013, 06:56 AM,
Hello all, my name is Brett Nicholson, 44 years old; originally from Washington D.C., now currently living in Düsseldorf, Germany. I first got into like gaming at an early age when living in Annapolis, Maryland and I remember my first Avalon Hill game which was 'Luftwaffe'. Then I would discover 'Panzer Leader' along with the WWI set entitled 'The Guns of August'. I grew up around a both Army and Navy families and had in early interest in military history and of course gaming.

I first found Panzer Grenadier at a game shop in about 2003-2004 in the form of 'Battle of the Bulge' and my interest in boardgaming was rekindled. At that time with work and college I didn't find much time to play it, let alone anyone with a similar interest or even more so, patience, to play other than solitaire. That was fine because it is well suited for solo play. Alas, over the years, through moving, I had to let go of my copy of 'Battle of the Bulge' and maybe got through 40 of the 50 scenarios over a very long stretch of time.

Then, about a year back, before moving to Germany, I found time to devote to PG again and started all over with 'Afrika Korps' but again found little time and most of all SPACE to devote much time to it then but went ahead and bought 'Desert Rats' and 'South Africa's War' at least for collection and novelties sake.

Now having made the move overseas I made room enough in my suitcases for my games! I am also very lucky to have a great girlfriend who doesn't mind me using her dining room table for my extensive game play but alas there is only enough room for the one map Desert war scenarios. So over the last few months I was able to finish 40 of 50 'Afrika Korps' and saved all my notes for future reference should I revisit the set again. Then I discovered this site which has made record keeping a lot more fun and it is great to read other's AARs especially before I start another game. Currently I am about halfway through 'Desert Rats' and unfortunately only have the space to play 31 of 50 it, and 9 of 20 from 'South Africa's War'. So I have been posting about a play at least every other day to catch up to where I am at now which is a very decent scenario from DR: #18 - 'A Pibroch's Skirl' which has an interesting rule for the Black Watch's bagpipes! Well, have about 12 more grueling yet entertaining turns of that left and feel that when it is finished sometime tomorrow to give a brief but detailed description of how that turns out. At the moment it doesn't look so well for the British but may be able to at least pull a draw from it by play's end. Speaking of draws, 'Desert Rats' doesn't allow for to many of those unlike 'Afrika Korps' which ended in many stalemates but I am enjoying DR much more.

Anyway, I guess that's enough for now other than I chose nebelwurfer9 for my user name just because it seemed relevant and perhaps humorous. I hope by year's end to get 'Eastern Front' and a supplement shipped over here for my next session(s). Best of it to everyone and this site!
07-25-2013, 07:14 AM,
Hi Brett,

Welcome aboard ! I had seen your inputs on the desert battles and have been looking out for your results on the ones that I have played. I only do face-to-face PG (and head to head PG over skype). The one you are playing now, my friend Wayne and I had a lot of fun with. In fact, he downloaded a skirl of pipes onto his phone and hadn't told me. Instead of annuncing it verbally, he played out the tune on the phone when he instigated the SSR ... all very humerous. I think it was my Italian MG's that kept him at bay as far too many of my Afrika Korps 'surrendered'.
07-25-2013, 04:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM by Maggal.)
Hi Brett,
the best german retailer for PG is UGG. They got tons of games, the price is fair and you don´t have the high shipping costs...

If I´m not allowed to post the link, just remove my post...
07-25-2013, 06:47 PM,
(07-25-2013, 04:05 PM)Maggal Wrote: Hi Brett,
the best german retailer for PG is UGG. They got tons of games, the price is fair and you don´t have the high shipping costs...

If I´m not allowed to post the link, just remove my post...

This may be a dictatorship, but I am a benevolent dictator. Posting of mere links do not even warrant my getting out of bed. Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-25-2013, 07:04 PM,
I'm relieved to hear that Smile.
07-26-2013, 06:00 AM,
Thanks to all for your comments and support! I will look into the German retailer and hope to perhaps, in the future, through skype or whatever means to get a shared play in with someone but first I have to convince my girlfriend that it would be in short installments and not to be too time consuming -after all, I am using her computer! ...lol... now it's time to set-up the next one ... DR#21: Sidi Omar ...looks like lots of barbed wire, minefields, entrenchments and my first experience with Valentine tanks!
08-15-2013, 02:06 AM,
(07-26-2013, 06:00 AM)nebelwurfer9 Wrote: Thanks to all for your comments and support! I will look into the German retailer and hope to perhaps, in the future, through skype or whatever means to get a shared play in with someone but first I have to convince my girlfriend that it would be in short installments and not to be too time consuming -after all, I am using her computer! ...lol... now it's time to set-up the next one ... DR#21: Sidi Omar ...looks like lots of barbed wire, minefields, entrenchments and my first experience with Valentine tanks!
14-8-2013: I would also like to add that I am very happy with the German retailer, receiving my first order in just 4 days and that I am halfway through the first campaign of 'The King's Officers': The Early Desert War 1940-41. I also hope that it is not a problem if I log in past scenarios played with both 'Afrika Korps' and 'Desert Rats' inbetween current, ongoing scenarios to catch up to where I am now. I am not trying to soar through the ranks or prove anything, just enjoy my PG plays and I could post-date entries if it is a problem. I only know that it took over two months to play 40 of 50 scenarios from 'Afrika korps' but I did not record the actual date but everything else in notes as far as victories, draws and casualties and the play is still fresh in my mind to be able to rate them all. With 'Desert Rats' I have only 4 more scenarios to enter in to catch up to where I left off before starting with 'The King's Officers'. I am only entering one scenario a day whether it's current or from a few months back. Also, as I stated before, I am very interested in finding a means to do a shared play someway other than SKYPE as that would drive my girlfriend nuts if I used her computer for gaming that way! But I'm sure there are other ways to do that even if...lol... the old fashioned, antiquated way of play by mail Wink Also, and finally, anyone is welcome to PM me here if they would like to discuss anything PG related or publicly. I would also like to thank Jay Townsend for letting us know about the future, upcoming projects, especially anticipating the release of 'Conquest of Ethiopia' and even more so, 'An Army at Dawn'. Okay, that was my beer break and soon back to my current scenario from K.O.: El Ageila ...happy gaming to all! -Brett Nicholson
08-15-2013, 04:43 AM,
Brett,

Its nice you add old plays. Seeing as there are 597 'members', I'm surprrised there hasn't been 1000's added in the same such way.