Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
11-19-2017, 11:23 AM,
RE: The Official --( Introduce Yourself )-- Thread!
(11-19-2017, 08:42 AM)richvalle Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 08:07 AM)retiredgrunt17 Wrote:
(11-19-2017, 07:57 AM)richvalle Wrote: Way up North in Chicago.  Smile

Chi-town.  I was born in the Midwest.  I don’t miss the cold.  What PG games do you have?

I hear you about the cold. I complain every year.  Still have family here though so...

I just so happen to have a list. Also there is a way to look up what games people have listed on Pghq but I'm not sure how.

If you look in the 'Lets play' section in the Skill vs Numbers post you can see I have a pbem game going now taking up E. Ridge and Road to Berlin.

Long copy and paste...

Road to Berlin

E. Ridge
Battle of the Bulge
Heroes of the Soviet Union
East Front
Afrika Korps
Desert Rats
Cassino 44
Beyond Normandy
Airborne
1940 The Fall of France
An Army at Dawn

Army Group South Ukraine
Winter Soldiers
Red Warriors
Invasion of Germany
Golden Journal - Fall of Luxembourg
Arctic Front
Edelweiss
First Axis
Siegfried Line
Jungle Fighting
Fronte Russo
White Eagles
South Africa's War
Blue Division
Sinister Forces
Black SS
Go for Broke
Workers and Peasants

Too Bad You Do Not Have a Copy Of Spearhead Division - that could be fun!!
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
02-18-2018, 02:34 AM,
Hi folks, I’m brand new to PG and I own Elsenborn Ridge. I was wondering if there are any good resources for newbs to give insights into tactics, how to best use specific units etc? Thanks.
02-18-2018, 03:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-18-2018, 03:47 AM by Poor Yorek.)
Stodge,

Read After Action Reports: http://pg-hq.com/after-action-reports.php

But start with this iconic one: http://www.avalanchepress.com/elsenborn_tactics_1.php

Edit: just note, this play and many of the PGHQ AARs were under 3rd Ed rules.
02-18-2018, 03:49 AM,
Thanks. I’m using the 3rd edition rules.
02-18-2018, 05:24 AM,
Welcome, stodge. Have you ever used VASSAL before? http://www.vassalengine.org/ There is a module for Elsenborn Ridge and we could probably find another player to do some real-time tutorial turns with you and get you up to speed faster.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
02-19-2018, 02:58 PM,
Pick me, Monty!
02-20-2018, 08:31 AM,
I have used Vassal briefly, but I spend all day at work looking at a screen so I won’t use it. I also find it too restrictive having to scroll around the map when I can see the whole map set up on my table

Thanks.
02-27-2018, 03:33 AM,
T am OZZZZ!! OK, I am not. But people here in Seattle like to say they're from the Emerald City. I don't. It is anything but.

Anyway, I've been a wargbamer since buying Panzerblitz at Toys-R-Us in 1970. Those were the days. Just the other day, I learned Benninghof was part of the PB craze. Hence the connection.

I grew up in Covina, CA and did not find another opponent until 1973, through the General. Today, I have a fair size game collection: 25 PG games, probably 15-20 SWWAS and GWAS games, Avalon Hill complete, CoA, Europa, some ASL, etc., etc.

Looks like Seattle is rich in gaming. including Coffee Shop gaming- a nice touch. I do not drive anymore due to poor eyesight, But that will not stop me from gaming across the miles.

I also see the Grand Admiral, James Stear, has joined this group. Nice. We're good friends.

Craig Martin
West Seattle, WA
02-27-2018, 09:09 AM,
Welcome Craig!

Do you use a magnifying glass or some other aid when playing games? I too have limited vision and I generally use a 3X magnifying glass when playing games with 1/2" or 9/16" counters. It slows down play but it also creates an element of fog of war that I like, especially when playing solitaire.
02-27-2018, 09:24 AM,
Hi Craig. I started about the same time, but with Midway. Fairly quickly picked up Gettysburg, Panzer Leader, and Stalingrad.

I have cataracts and macular degeneration too. There are options. Keep playing!
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking