Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doctrine or not?
08-01-2023, 08:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023, 08:28 AM by Tony M.)
Doctrine or not?
This isn't exactly a rules question, so I hope it's OK to post it here.

Back in the day when I used to play a lot of The Gamers' TCS games I always tried to stick to doctrine for each side. That is, I would try to position all my units so that each formation attacked or defended on whatever hex frontage was appropriate for that army. I used to know all those frontages, but not any more, and I've forgotten where I wrote them down. 

On the Avalanche website there was an article about the soldiers behind the counters. There was a lot of info on what a platoon contains, but nothing on how attacks and defenses were organized. Does anyone else out there try to incorporate actual doctrine into their play? I can't believe I'm the only one. If someone would please refresh my memory I would appreciate it.

Each hex in PG is 200 m across. If we can stack 3 combat units in a hex, does that mean we are mounting a company-sized attack on a 200 m front? I have no idea what Romanian doctrine called for, and I don't remember what Soviet doctrine called for, but 200 m for a company sized attack seems a bit extreme, even for the Soviets. Though I do seem to remember that Soviet attack fronts were rather narrow. And I don't remember how the Soviets organized for defense, especially in 1941.

I attended Origins in Columbus a number of times back in the day, and Col. David Glantz, Charles Sharp and Jack Radey went into this stuff in detail, but again, I've misplaced my notes. I have a number of books on German and Soviet tactical doctrine, but they are hiding somewhere in my attic.
08-01-2023, 10:39 AM,
RE: Doctrine or not?
I don't know about the level of national doctrine portrayed in the system. What I have observed is that the combination of moral, leader ratios, counter strengths and special rules tend to lead most national forces to fight a certain way. Those ways seem to follow the history of how the armies operated. In that sense, maybe so.

I tend to rank forces on a manuever-fire-assault preference scale. That scale slides a little with the basic unit type. Generally though, it does reveal  peculiarities of the nation forces portrayed in the system. How accurate you think that may be is up to you.
Tony M likes this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-03-2023, 07:58 AM,
Found it! 

I have a book called "Soviet Tactical Doctrine in WWII [As Found in: Handbook on USSR Military Forces TM-30-340]". It says a Soviet rifle regiment generally attacked on a front 1,500 yards wide. A Soviet rifle company on a front of "up to 350 yards," and a Soviet platoon on a front of "up to 100 yards." 

A rifle company defended on a front 700 yards wide and 700 yards deep.

I have no idea how Romanian infantry units operated. My study of Axis allied armed forces is still in its infancy.
cjsiam likes this post
08-03-2023, 10:16 AM,
I suggest the site Romanian Armed Forces in the Second World War. That should fill in part of your eastern front battles.
Tony M, treadasaurusrex, cjsiam And 1 others like this post
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking