Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter colors - Soviet and German
08-10-2023, 04:00 AM,
Counter colors - Soviet and German
Am I the only one who has a lot of difficulty telling German and Soviet units apart? I know that with so many armies represented in PG, there are going to be color problems because there are just not enough colors to go around. But the German and Soviet counters do resemble each other very closely. Too closely for these elderly eyes. I know that each nation has a national symbol, but it's printed so small on the counter...

One thing I wish PG had was 2 different colors of Moved/Fired counters. When you have opposing stacks side by side it is darned difficult to tell who is who. Now I just turn one side's Moved/Fired counters clockwise, but different colors would be much, much better.
Tubac52, Tambu, Miguelibal And 10 others like this post
08-10-2023, 06:03 AM,
RE: Counter colors - Soviet and German
Apart from Felipe, I don't think anyone has complained about the colors. All I can suggest is look for the emblems when color is insufficient.

For moved/fired markers, that becomes a DIY project. Your solution seems to be the next best thing.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-10-2023, 08:30 AM,
I don't normally use the moved/fired markers. I just rotate the counters 45 degrees when they activate. Less counter clutter and easier to see what's underneath. I do use the markers for opportunity fire and then remove when the unit takes it's second opportunity fire (unless I'm playing Airborne which came with Opportunity Fire markers).
JayTownsend likes this post
08-11-2023, 08:11 AM,
(08-10-2023, 06:03 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Apart from Felipe, I don't think anyone has complained about the colors. All I can suggest is look for the emblems when color is insufficient.

Really? Wow. That's surprising. Maybe I'm a bit older than many other people here, or maybe my eyes are just going prematurely bad after 40 years of staring at a computer monitor every day, all day. Oh well. I own the original Panzer Grenadier in addition to Eastern Front, and I see that the former has separate counters for "Moved" and "Fired," and that they are of a different color than the ones in Eastern Front. So maybe I will draft those counters into Eastern Front. 

Right now I am using those little plastic "X" markers for various in-game things, like marking which units/stacks have been activated by a particular leader,. I use little glass beads to mark the hexes where battles are taking place--red for the firing hex, clear for the defending hex. Because I play exclusively solitaire I like to have lots of visual cues and notes to hopefully make things simpler. My game table is in my living room, and when I play the TV is on and the wife is sitting close by, so my attention is often divided.
CavDo, Sonora, Tubac52 And 7 others like this post
08-11-2023, 11:31 AM,
I think that I read that 23% of American males are red-green color blind.
OldPueblo, chaco, Reconquista And 9 others like this post
08-13-2023, 12:05 AM,
(08-11-2023, 11:31 AM)Tubac52 Wrote: I think that I read that 23% of American males are red-green color blind.

If we assume a 100% admission rate, that would mean that I have only met 12 other American men and had some idea of their color acuity. I and those dozen would make the full-color range vision male representation. yeah, 23% seems a bit high.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
08-14-2023, 08:37 AM,
Looks like Peter is closer to the actual number -- at least for American men officially diagnosed with some form of color blindness.

Here's the National Eye Institute link: https://www.nei.nih.gov/learn-about-eye-...-blindness
PANISTA, Tambu, Miguelibal And 9 others like this post