Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rivers in town hexes
03-08-2022, 02:04 AM,
RE: Rivers in town hexes
Question 1: Should bridges be assumed, streets and other vias are, to be present in towns which have rivers in them?
Question 2a: If question 1 is yes, would such town hexes qualify as bridges?
Question 2b: If question 1 is no (declaring bridge art relevant, but road art irrelevant), what is the application of hexes like 0717/0816 (clearly drawn wrong for relevant consideration)? (Note that question 2b would also apply in a 3rd Ed context.)
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-08-2022, 02:19 AM,
(03-08-2022, 02:04 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Question 1: Should bridges be assumed, streets and other vias are, to be present in towns which have rivers in them?
Question 2a: If question 1 is yes, would such town hexes qualify as bridges?
Question 2b: If question 1 is no (declaring bridge art relevant, but road art irrelevant), what is the application of hexes like 0717/0816 (clearly drawn wrong for relevant consideration)? (Note that question 2b would also apply in a 3rd Ed context.)

It really isnt my intention to give you a hard time with these posts. I think our brains just work in opposite ways, so we approach these problems very differently. 

To condense it to the guts of the question then, my interpretation would be:

1. No. Town with river running through it would not be enough to assume a bridge exists there. The fact that roads don't occur in towns (explicitly in 4th) is a specific exception to the general rule that artwork depicts the map terrain. Bridges are a different terrain feature and thus exist where depicted unless stated otherwise in the SSRs. Another Map to highlight the potential impact of saying "yes" would be Map 12, where we would functionally be adding several bridges. 

2b. I would personally say you need to control both hexes/ends of that bridge to control it. Although we don't typically see bridges actually span two hexes, I can't see any rule that says a bridge must exist only in one hex. We don't seem to have any problems with VCs that say to control multihex objectives (towns, hills, etc), so I don't know why a bridge would differ. When scoring it, I would count both as bridge hexes though, so if the VC says "control the bridge" you would need both, but if it said "1VP per bridge hex" you would get +1 for each hex. 

I'm pretty open to being moved from point 2b if my opponent had contrary feelings though, and wanted to designate only a single hex of it to be the bridge.
treadasaurusrex likes this post
03-11-2022, 08:26 AM,
When developing scenarios that use Board 30, I assumed bridge artwork means units and leaders can cross the river in these hexes without using the river crossing procedure or paying the river costs. I also assumed a hex displaying a town and bridge were both a town hex and a bridge hex. You would thus get 2 VP if for control of 0713 if both town hexes and bridge hexes were worth 1 VP each.

I specifically listed 0716 and 0816 as bridge hexes in an upcoming scenario as I could not figure out if it should attributed to a single hex with a straight reading of the rules.

If you're playing Division Marocaine or Fall of France, interpret as above. If playing something else, I do not pretend to understand what the designer/developer had intended.

--

Writing rules is difficult, at least for me. I wrote the rules for River Fleets and Landship Cruisers and each page took roughly 15 hours to finalize. Crosschecking coherence with other rules takes a lot of time.

Just a word of warning to whoever takes the job trying to resolve all these little gray areas and inconsistencies when writing 5th edition.  Angel
triangular_cube likes this post
03-11-2022, 11:34 AM,
Photo  RE: Rivers in town hexes
    Huh ! It's been a long time since that map was drawn...
waynebaumber likes this post
03-16-2022, 12:48 AM,
(03-11-2022, 08:26 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Writing rules is difficult, at least for me. I wrote the rules for River Fleets and Landship Cruisers and each page took roughly 15 hours to finalize. Crosschecking coherence with other rules takes a lot of time.

Just a word of warning to whoever takes the job trying to resolve all these little gray areas and inconsistencies when writing 5th edition.  Angel
Oh, I get that. In my rules rewrite, we would try a rule in 3 games before we decided it was good to keep. I don't know if it was a good enough standard, but at least most unforeseen problems were addressed.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
03-16-2022, 02:39 AM,
If it's got a bridge in the terrain its a bridge hex,  if its a town hex with with a bridge it its both. If its a town hex with a river and there is no bridge so you can't magically cross the river by moving thru town hexes.  For VP's talk to your opponent before commencing play.
treadasaurusrex and Michael Murphy like this post