Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hills, now and then
09-25-2017, 03:10 AM,
Hills, now and then
In the Eastern Front Deluxe, there's a special rule that units on hills are spotted more than three hexes away.

As I'm going to play per the 4th edition rules, is there anything there that change this condition?
The Germans were singulary lucky to advance upon a city with a big functioning tank factory.
09-25-2017, 11:20 PM,
RE: Hills, now and then
I'd say take the 4th Ed. rules of hills are not limiting terrain and they are spotted normally unless in town/forest etc.
09-25-2017, 11:20 PM,
Hills are not limiting terrain in 4th edition so units on them can be spotted as per the terrain in the hex (clear, woods, towns, etc) but do see 8.41 and 8.42.
09-25-2017, 11:41 PM,
Many thanks!

I should've written in OP, "may not be spotted more than three hexes away," but new edition obviously livens things up, anyway.
The Germans were singulary lucky to advance upon a city with a big functioning tank factory.
09-30-2017, 11:12 PM,
(09-25-2017, 11:41 PM)Andreas Wrote: Many thanks!

I should've written in OP, "may not be spotted more than three hexes away," but new edition obviously livens things up, anyway.

Oh Andreas, you lucky man!

Every game system has its most contentious, most polarizing rule, and for PG it was the hill hex = limiting terrain (= 3 hex spotting) rule. The amount of digital ink spilled over that rule during the past 10+ years would fill the Black Sea. Big Grin 

Fortunately it has been soundly defeated with the 4th edition rules, and newcomers like yourself need not get dragged back into the muck and mire! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-30-2017, 11:51 PM,
Well, played my first-ever PG FTF game today (Infantry Attacks from Eastern Front) and although won, wasn't much impressed, frankly.
10-01-2017, 01:25 AM,
Sorry to hear that. Perhaps next time you could try a more highly rated scenario with a more interesting OOB?

The scenario you played is in the bottom 5th of all Eastern Front scenarios by player rating if you use the Basic Search function and then sort by the rating column:

http://www.pg-hq.com/search.php?action=new&type=basic
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-01-2017, 02:08 AM,
I could readily admit the game perhaps requires more patience and finesse than we were willing to commit but still it was not very fun. To check it's just not we, we took out a deck of Up Front and had a jolly good time.Smile

Well, it's strange that was an introductory scenario for a while.

What EF scenario would you recommend personally?
10-01-2017, 09:29 AM,
My friend and I tend towards bigger battles when playing face to face or via email. 2-4 maps and decent number of units per side. A good mix of tanks, inf, guns, oba and enough time to move them around and use them.
11-20-2017, 08:17 AM,
Rich and I played half of a game via skype and I really enjoyed it. Having played everything solo up to this point, I had a rule clarified that really made things make more sense. And I agree with Rich, that the bigger scenarios have more to them. But, we are playing a small scenario and it is still good gaming. With this clarification on morale, I am looking forward to more PG even more than I had.