Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berezov Bound - first-ever AAR in Russian
09-24-2017, 10:56 PM,
Berezov Bound - first-ever AAR in Russian
Well, I've been beaten to the punch again, scheduling my first-ever FTF game of PG on next weekend. Meanwhile, the honor for the first-ever AAR in Russian (with pictures!) belong to misterious Centox whom I don't know personally.

Berezov Bound
The Germans were singulary lucky to advance upon a city with a big functioning tank factory.
09-24-2017, 11:50 PM,
RE: Berezov Bound - first-ever AAR in Russian
Nice AAR. My only complaint might be the big stacks, but there is not much to be done about that. S.L.A Marshall's narrative describes much of the operation going just like that before the big counterattack. Specifically the Germans are "winning", but just can't close the deal. Just like that battle played out for you.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-25-2017, 02:19 AM,
(09-24-2017, 11:50 PM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Nice AAR. My only complaint might be the big stacks, but there is not much to be done about that. S.L.A Marshall's narrative describes much of the operation going just like that before the big counterattack. Specifically the Germans are "winning", but just can't close the deal. Just like that battle played out for you.

That last photo features end of play, both sides control one village hex apiece, and in the rest melee is going on. He lost as the Soviet 16-22, just two points from the draw. He really liked indecisive CRT which disables you from simply rolling dice just hoping for some luck.

As a side note, I don't like those lend-lease tanks named Grants. It seems to me that Grant was some British modification which was not lend-leased. They were called here General Lee or M3s (sredniy, "middle"), as opposed to M3l (lyogkiy, "light", Stuart). And, of course, a BM-7 ("common grave for seven").
The Germans were singulary lucky to advance upon a city with a big functioning tank factory.
09-25-2017, 03:11 AM,
The Grant/Lee was not well liked much more a command tank. It had better success in the Burmese jungle, but was not so good against a serious European power. The M3 Grant/Lee was an expediency after the fall of France. The army planners decided that 75mm gun was the minimum requirement for a battle tank. They also insisted on a higher hp-wt ratio than the current M3 medium design had. The guys, at Dodge I think, managed to meld 5 diesel to make the M3 Lee engine. The proposed M3 tank gun was cut down to 32 calibers. The whole thing was put under the original M3 design, which was then put on the M4 Sherman suspension. The tank was only intended to be used until the M4 Sherman became generally available.

The M3 Lee was the U.S Army version. The M3 Grant was the British lend-lease version. For those of you who may not have noticed, especially non-Americans, U.S. tanks are normally named after generals. General Robert E. Lee was the most notable general for the Confederacy during the American Civil War, general Ulysses S. Grant was the primary general for the Union in the war.

The M3 Lee/Grant was superior to medium German tanks when introduced. That said, the PzKw IVf2 is right around the corner. The Grants first appeared in the Gazala battles. It did quite well against even the PzKw IIIj, the best German tank in operation at the time. When Tobruch fell, the PzKw IVf2 had reached the field. I think the M3 Lee/Grant is an excellent example of American ingenuity, but it is an expedient kluge, not a design.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-25-2017, 03:42 AM,
It seems to me Grant was different from Lee because of some British turret. I doubt these were lend-leased to the USSR.
09-25-2017, 05:33 AM,
The big difference between the Grant and Lee was that the Lee had a commander copula/turret (with a .30cal MG), where as the Grant had that removed and extra communications equipment installed. How many of which went to the USSR, I don't know. I would expect by 1943 there would be a mix.