Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spotting with a just moved leader
09-07-2017, 01:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 01:41 AM by richvalle.)
Spotting with a just moved leader
I've never had this come up before. I'm messing around solo with the first battle in Spearhead Division (which is pretty great so far) and I activated a road column of US troops including some morts. After everyone ahead of them had moved one of the just moved leaders can spot Germans in a town. 

Since you're supposed to declare move or fire when activating, can you activate a leader to move and morts to fire, move the leader into spotting range and then that same AS fire the morts? 

Whoops, I should have put this into Rules section. Sorry about that.
09-07-2017, 02:15 AM,
RE: Spotting with a just moved leader
(09-07-2017, 01:40 AM)richvalle Wrote: I've never had this come up before. I'm messing around solo with the first battle in Spearhead Division (which is pretty great so far) and I activated a road column of US troops including some morts. After everyone ahead of them had moved one of the just moved leaders can spot Germans in a town. 

Since you're supposed to declare move or fire when activating, can you activate a leader to move and morts to fire, move the leader into spotting range and then that same AS fire the morts? 

Yes, in my opinion. As long as the leader is not in an assault hex and/or DEM, it can spot regardless of its activation status and at any time (see 9.1 below). If the mortar is activated, its fire can be spotted by any regular leader (or special spotting unit subject to their rules) on the board not in assault and/or DEM.  

9.1 Target Spotting

Units using Bombardment Fire don't have to spot their target themselves. A friendly, undemoralized regular leader can spot the target for them unless the scenario instructions say otherwise. Spotting for bombardment does not require the leader to activate - an unactivated leader or a leader under a Moved/Fired marker may spot for bombardment. A leader may spot for as many different bombardments per turn as desired. Tank leaders (6.8) may NOT spot for bombardment. Leaders in an assault hex may only spot for bombardment into the assault hex, while leaders being transported may spot normally.
09-07-2017, 02:36 AM,
Yeah, once the thought occurred to me that's how I read the rules as well.
09-07-2017, 04:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 09:56 AM by Hugmenot.)
Yes

There is a risk the leader will not reach a hex from which he can spot an enemy or that he becomes demoralized, in which cases the mortars would be unable to fire and still be marked Moved/Fired because they were activated.
09-07-2017, 08:38 AM,
(09-07-2017, 01:40 AM)richvalle Wrote: Since you're supposed to declare move or fire when activating, can you activate a leader to move and morts to fire, move the leader into spotting range and then that same AS fire the morts?

This is one of those perfectly reasonable and devastating tactics you learn when you play your first head-to-head game against an experienced PGer... Dodgy
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...