Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAR BB33, Once More Into the Funnel!
09-08-2017, 02:18 AM,
RE: DAR BB33, Once More Into the Funnel!
Re loading guns for transport - I always figured most the time was spent loading up the ammo.

And thanks!
09-08-2017, 02:22 AM,
How much more time would loading a couple boxes of shells take compared to loading 3-4 machine-guns and extra ammo? Remember larger caliber ammo is already loaded in caissons.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-08-2017, 04:39 AM,
Here are examples for Presumed Crests. I also put this over on the What We Play Redux thread.
Refer the graphic:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=917]
  1. A can see 1. LOS crosses 1 20-meter hex while the extension behind A crosses 3 20-meter hexes. (Number of hexes behind are greater in number than hexes in front.)
  2. B cannot see 1. LOS crosses 2 20-meter hexes while the extension behind B crosses 1 20-meter hexes. (Hexes behind are less in number than hexes in front.)
  3. C can see 2. Extension behind crosses higher elevation of same hill. (Higher elevation behind.)
  4. D can see 3. LOS crosses 1 40-meter hex while the extension behind D crosses 1 40-meter hex. (Hexes in front are equal in number to hexes behind.)
  5. E cannot see 3. LOS crosses 2 40-meter hexes while the extension behind E crosses 1 40-meter hex. (Hexes behind are less in number than hexes in front.)
Remember, LOS functions both ways, but the higher observer is used to determine validity.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-08-2017, 10:32 AM,
(09-07-2017, 10:52 PM)richvalle Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 12:33 PM)Dan Storm Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 11:33 AM)Shad Wrote: I'm 90% sure I'll be living in Illinois by the end of September. Once I'm stateside it will be a lot easier to arrange a real-time VASSAL game, and I'm definitely down for the 3 person 3-way refereed double-blind I was talking about earlier.

Any idea what part of Illinois Yet?

You know... most people are moving OUT of Illinois.   Smile

Indeed! Which is why it's a great time for people like us to move in and open new high-tech businesses: low costs, strong local government incentives, great community support since we're creating nice jobs, etc.  Wink
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-09-2017, 12:42 AM,
Wink  RE: DAR BB33, Once More Into the Funnel!
and maybe even some Cubs, Bears, or Blackhawks comps? Wink
09-12-2017, 03:03 AM,
Do you allow full viewing for Ent, Minefields, Wire?
09-12-2017, 03:29 AM,
Normally yes. Minefields though have had some extra discussion, but in the end we have left their location known. The issue was that if the minefields were not under friendly observation, you never new if someone walked into them. We have also experimented with keeping minefields hidden until an enemy approaches them (1 or 3 hexes). That had similar problems. In the end, we decided to leave them observable as normal.
09-12-2017, 03:46 AM,
Ahh. I was thinking along the same lines of 1-3 hexes. It makes mines a little more interesting as the attacker has somewhat committed to a path before finding the minefields.
09-12-2017, 03:48 AM,
What I've done with minefields is when a unit gets within 2 hexes, I roll to see if the minefield is there (1-3, normally) or 1 hex away (random, but not to a hex with a friendly) until it is "fixed" in place. It's not a perfect solution and it's better than nothing.
09-12-2017, 04:04 AM,
I certainly don't disagree with that. The fundamental mechanic with 2 player double-blind is who can see whom. Minefields make it more difficult.

A work-around could be, at the end of an player's action, when stuff gets revealed, appropriate minefields could be revealed and the owning player moves appropriate units back in front of the minefields.

BtW: Also allow ENG/SAP/PIO units to spend their action probing a minefield, thus determining its strength.