Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DAR BB33, Once More Into the Funnel!
09-06-2017, 03:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 12:22 AM by plloyd1010.)
DAR BB33, Once More Into the Funnel!
Yeah Billy, this is my game now Huh. Rochefort, Battle of the Bulge scenario 33. We are playing this Double-blind and with our house rules. (It quite confused my grand nephews when they saw it setup.) BtW: This all from my perspective.

It is an American positional defense in front the town, with the Panzer Lehr entering on the east side of the map. I drew the Germans. It started out predictably with the Americans falling
back to the town, without seriously engaging the advancing Germans. A couple weird things happened, one was that a FoW roll prevented the Panthers from entering on the
first turn, the other was that the Americans got an extra LT by random event. By turn 3, the Germans were reaching the town, but the delay did not allow the tanks to get behind the Americans:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=915]

The rush at the town didn't work very well. By turn 6 or 7 it was clear that the attrition was against the Germans. A cut wire, due to another random event, was inconsequential.
Bombarding the Americans in the town was as more dangerous to the Germans than the Americans. After losing 7 steps for 2, the Germans pull back to regroup:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=916]

The tanks however remain in place and cause quite a lot of damage, 5 steps. The Americans discover that they are in more danger of their own artillery, when they they try bombarding
the tanks. Misunderstood orders sends Charlie's HMG platoon (from hex 0609) in the German lines, though they survive and start heading back. The Germans send out pickets (a new OP) to
hex 0509 to keep Charlie & friends under observation. Next round will be when the fun really starts.

What I know, or think I know (and why)
  1. American M18s are in 0507 (suddenly appeared over there, only things fast enough)
  2. American mortars are in 1110 (something moved there a couple turns ago, new OP)
  3. American AT guns are in or adjacent to 0515 (initial placement, Americans don't have transport)
  4. Hank and George have 2 INF with them, Charlie has 1 (used to have the HMG too)
  5. Charlie is a Sgt, probably 8/9-x-0 (unable to prevent disruption on DR9, got activated by Hank)
  6. Hank is an Lt, probably 9/10-1-0 (formed fire team, unable to help Charlie on MC, activated by someone behind him)
  7. George is an Lt, probably 10-x-1 (has helped moral on marginal MCs, activated by someone behind him)

Attached Files Image(s)

... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-06-2017, 05:32 AM,
RE: DAR BB33, Once More Into the Funnel!
I don't see the attachments!

I will have to try your variant someday.
09-06-2017, 05:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 06:01 AM by plloyd1010.)
I'll put them in as full size.

Drew how about that? I am trying to inset the original images, but shrink them down to 690px wide, and appropriately high. A way to hide the attached images or directly scale them?
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
09-07-2017, 12:15 AM,
Double blind sounds cool. I know it works well for GWaS/SWWaS, and it could be neat here. Who is the referee?
09-07-2017, 12:27 AM,
You should read the article. It is a 2 player double-blind system that another gamer and I worked out for PB/PL 20-30 years ago. A referee would would be ideal, but how to get a 3rd person in a game who won't get to play. Drew suggested a triangular double-blind for Vassal games, a month or 2 ago. That looked interesting too.
09-07-2017, 01:22 AM,
Yeah, did that triangle double blind thing ever take off? I was wondering how it worked out.

I do like the look of your system though I have no one to try it out with. Sad
09-07-2017, 08:46 AM,
(09-06-2017, 05:52 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: I'll put them in as full size.

Drew how about that? I am trying to inset the original images, but shrink them down to 690px wide, and appropriately high. A way to hide the attached images or directly scale them?

Image management is my main gripe with our forum platform. AFAIK there's no way to resize them after the upload. If you want smaller images, you need to upload smaller images. From time to time someone will upload a monster image that breaks the page and I'll use my sexy admin powers to download, resize, and replace it.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
09-07-2017, 10:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2017, 10:29 AM by Dan Storm.)
(09-07-2017, 01:22 AM)richvalle Wrote: Yeah, did that triangle double blind thing ever take off? I was wondering how it worked out.

I can be your guinea pig / arty fodder if need be...
"...I Spent Half My Money on Wargames - Women and Whiskey - The Other Half I Wasted..."
09-07-2017, 10:35 AM,
(09-07-2017, 01:22 AM)richvalle Wrote: Yeah, did that triangle double blind thing ever take off? I was wondering how it worked out.

If we can do it via Vassal, I'm game to try that. We had a good time with our Vassal game last year!!
09-07-2017, 11:00 AM,
I think Drew's idea was via Vassal. I will get around to a Vassal version eventually.