Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tiger II
08-09-2012, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 12:55 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: Tiger II
Perhaps it is simply that a fifteen-year-old with a week or two to get in some last PG play before school begins plays (and thinks) faster than those of us with more than a few gray hairs? I have asked him whether he is just blazing through the scenarios or playing them with thought: he insists that he is playing them "seriously."

Curious that no one questions others here who seem to play an extraordinary number of scenarios. Playing over spring break at a pace of a scenario or two (smaller ones) a day I found exhausting. I'm not sure how folks keep that up for months at a time.
08-09-2012, 03:11 AM,
(08-09-2012, 12:03 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Perhaps it is simply that a fifteen-year-old with a week or two to get in some last PG play before school begins plays (and thinks) faster than those of us with more than a few gray hairs? I have asked him whether he is just blazing through the scenarios or playing them with thought: he insists that he is playing them "seriously."

Curious that no one questions others here who seem to play an extraordinary number of scenarios. Playing over spring break at a pace of a scenario or two (smaller ones) a day I found exhausting. I'm not sure how folks keep that up for months at a time.

Ah to be 15 again, or perhaps not, I seem to remember a lot of angst during my adolescent years. I know both Vince and I have raised eyebrows over other peoples scenario output but really we were commenting on Iron Line South because it was a scenario which was so demanding in time and effort but then we both really old.
08-09-2012, 03:29 AM,
(08-09-2012, 12:03 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Curious that no one questions others here who seem to play an extraordinary number of scenarios.
When I was younger and single, i was able to spend 30-35 hours a week playing and studying chess. I did that for several years and then switched to ASL for a couple of years, and then Magic the Gathering for 5 years.

My point is I had lots of free time and spent 90%+ of my gaming on one single game or system.

As Matt W can vouch, i am a slow player. Despite that, I would easily play 150+ scenarios a year if I had as much free time as in my before-marriage-and-kids days.

(08-09-2012, 12:03 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: Playing over spring break at a pace of a scenario or two (smaller ones) a day I found exhausting. I'm not sure how folks keep that up for months at a time.
When I played weekend chess, Go, MtG, and poker tournaments, I had the energy to play 12 - 14 hours a day for up to 5 consecutive days. Also, I had no problem sleeping only 2 or 3 hours a night when attending gaming and book conventions.

I can no longer function at that pace.

But I am sure some people can and thus see nothing extraordinary about a member playing a high number of scenarios over a period of time.

I do wish they wrote short AARs or took pictures of their initial setups as these steps would help me reduce my preparation time; it's kind of selfish of me, especially when considering I only write AARs for about 1/3 of my plays (percentage will increase when we have image support). But I appreciate everyone logging their play because even knowing Axis is leading Allied 2-0 with no draw is information which tells me a little something about a scenario.
08-09-2012, 03:33 AM,
(08-09-2012, 03:11 AM)waynebaumber Wrote: Ah to be 15 again, or perhaps not, I seem to remember a lot of angst during my adolescent years. I know both Vince and I have raised eyebrows over other peoples scenario output but really we were commenting on Iron Line South because it was a scenario which was so demanding in time and effort but then we both really old.
I resent that remark because I am just a few years younger than you two.
08-09-2012, 03:35 AM,
I would like to add a few more points in responding now that I have a bit more leisure to do so.

First, if I may say so, "TheDoctor" has a gifted ability to retain visual and numerical information. He can adjudicate several assault stacks (or other Actions) sequentially in his head (allowing him to simply make roll after roll) that I would have to run and adjudicate individually (obviously OF doesn't fit into this). He pretty much worked out solving 3x3; 4x4; and 5x5 Rubic's cubes in short order. His mother can visualize symphonic and choral scores from memory and "TheDoctor" seems to have inherited some of that. With a Ph.D. in theoretical chemistry, I don't think of myself as a mental midget, but "TheDoctor" certainly processes play much faster than I do.

Like many gifted and talented youth, he tends to have great success or spectacular failures; sometimes doggedly committing to a plan even when it becomes clear that some adaption is required (Szekesfehervar Airport comes to mind). Experience tempers all. He also gets very focused: I suspect he probably played yesterday for 10 or so hours. As a further bow to youth, he plays on the hard wood floor of his room under his loft (I'd be crippled) - actually makes for a great PG space even for maps/plexiglass as large as Cassino's.

I have asked him to write up an AAR for one of the actions under discussion. With no means of objective ranking such as exists for chess or bridge, I cannot say how "well" he plays vis-a-vis the two astonished members who raised the question above. Perhaps against "real experienced" players, he (and I) would blow away like chaff; or, perhaps, "TheDoctor" might astonish as did the teen-aged Polgar sisters to certain chess masters?

I'm not particularly comfortable with personal information being conveyed online, but I said as much here since I thought it important in a community such as this that "polices" itself - if you wish - that any question of impropriety be addressed. I also thought it a good lesson for "TheDoctor" to understand how internet message board discourse can develop.

And, now, back to our regularly scheduled Tiger II action coverage ...
08-09-2012, 03:35 AM,
(08-09-2012, 12:03 AM)Poor Yorek Wrote: <snip> Curious that no one questions others here who seem to play an extraordinary number of scenarios. Playing over spring break at a pace of a scenario or two (smaller ones) a day I found exhausting. I'm not sure how folks keep that up for months at a time.

In my case, I cheat. I play a lot of PG, but almost never do I play a scenario to completion. I usually pull the plug somewhere in the middle depending on my mood. I call a game when I feel that one side has substantially fulfilled its victory requirements, lost too much momentum (or units), or if I simply tire of the scenario. I like the variety that PG provides, but prolonged play of a game in which the outcome isn't really in doubt can become tedious.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
08-09-2012, 03:43 AM,
To Hugmenot:

The comment of mine from an earlier post that you addressed was essentially rhetorical - at least that is what I intended. I'm sorry that you had to take time addressing it as though it were literal (and I mean that, not as a backhanded swipe).
08-09-2012, 04:20 AM,
I was just interested in an AAR on the game played ?

Its a scenario I shall never forget and wanted to hear others thoughts when played !
08-09-2012, 05:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 05:17 AM by vince hughes.)
(08-09-2012, 03:11 AM)waynebaumber Wrote: [quote='Poor Yorek' pid='1772' dateline='1344434620']

PY,

Just on that note, and to be fair to Wayne, I think the point made was that these two scenarios are absolutely intense and very very time consuming (most intense I've played I think). Given it took Wayne and I circa 16 hours to play one, then its easy to see why 2 of them plus one other in a day appears very fast.

I think you will get my angle on the depth of the game from the AAR i wrote. The title I chose for the AAR itself says a lot.
08-09-2012, 06:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(08-09-2012, 05:16 AM)vince hughes Wrote: PY,

Just on that note, and to be fair to Wayne, I think the point made was that these two scenarios are absolutely intense and very very time consuming (most intense I've played I think). Given it took Wayne and I circa 16 hours to play one, then its easy to see why 2 of them plus one other in a day appears very fast.

Vince & Wayne:

I know that our (myself and TheDoctor's) ftf games are at least a factor of x4 longer than his own solo plays (reflecting both that I am a slower player and with two people, there are always exchanges and excursions and breaks that delay play - and, I suspect, most everyone's ftf play is slower than their solo play just by virtue of the competition,and "face," involved). I think ftf with me is a trial to his patience! (We have set up and run a few turns of the August SotM).

That particular day he was up playing by 1000 and he was still at it around 2400 when I went to bed (of course, there were meals and other activities in the day).
He is writing up an AAR to address your interest, but likely the perspective of solo play is not going to be as "intense" as the ftf context you two shared. For example, one of our most intense plays was Obsession Junction (BSS #31): it wasn't a large nor complex scenario, but the outcome was in doubt to the end.

Perhaps in closing, I could suggest that a better approach might have been to PM me with any concern about whether the play records were legitimate? I felt that since the insinuation was made in an open post, a public reply was required.